1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm going to jump on the bisexuality thread wagon

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Just Passing, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Just Passing

Just a personal question, but did anyone who ever realise that they were actually gay or straight ever say they were bisexual as a stepping stone towards that point. And to anyone who is bisexual, have you ever nearly come to a point where you might actually identify as gay or straight?

Just a few thoughts I had.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally did not, but I know at least two people who did.

Lex

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm bisexual, but I have a tendency to like women more. But I have also dated men. I almost identified as a lesbian, but then I realized that I fit more in the bisexual category since I like men as well.

4. Just Passing

It must be somewhat common then. As you mentioned in another thread, Elton John was notable for doing it and for all I know, there are probably other celebrities as well. :slight_smile:

Which is an interesting point I find about bisexuality. It's not always 50/50 with attraction and it can definitely vary from what I can tell. Bisexuality just sounds far more complicated than just being gay or straight. :grin:

5. DefineNormal

DefineNormal Guest

I'm calling myself bisexual at the moment because I know that I want relationships with girls, but I think that I still want the same things from guys too. I also look at girls and guys, instead of exclusively one gender. Right now I'm leaning towards girls more, but have feelings for guys, so I don't identify as a lesbian. And yeah, I confuse myself sometimes :grin:

6. Zontar

I no longer emphasize labeling myself, but "bisexual" would fit my tastes by conventional standards. While I have very little experience with either sex, I don't particularly expect to be explicitly turned off by one or the other as life goes on, much like "gay" or "straight" people describe themselves.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was more convinced that I was 100% gay when I first came out to myself than I am now.

8. IanGallagher

I'm alternating. Some days I lean more towards guys than girls. When I was adjusting those days made me question if I was gay. THEN there are days I lean more towards girls than guys. When I was adjusting those days made me question if I was straight. I still have those thoughts, then oddly remind myself "dude, you're not straight - you checked out that guy yesterday" or "dude, you're not gay - you checked out that girl yesterday." I've even had moments where I don't really notice guys at all, even at the beach. That's why I'm the fluctuator. Orientation is literally an ongoing water current just as much as the world keeps spinning on an axis. Giving up one or the other, as James Dean always said, would be like someone forcing me to go through life with one hand tied behind my back.

#8 IanGallagher, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  9. Heyitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never outwardly said I was bisexual, but I believed inside that I was for at least a year before realizing that I'm actually gay.

10. RaeofLite

Yep. Thought I was bi for a while, but after the first time with a woman, sparks flew off like they never had when I was with a man.

11. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I sure did. I came out as bisexual (to myself) at 15.
    I still find males to be attractive I just don't have a desire to sleep with them.

12. bijou

At this point I consider myself Bisexual but it wavers all the time... mainly because I dream about being with men but Im certainly more of a lady lover during the day... I figure its just more fluid but you probably have better orgasms with one sex over the other...... just enjoying the ride ;-)

13. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Though I haven't actually come out yet, I did consider myself "probably bi" for a few months. But after thinking about it for a while, now I consider myself "probably gay."

14. HantsBen

I came out as Bi and thats because.. I believe I am, i'll go either way :slight_smile:

15. haelmarie

Kind of the same. First I thought I was bisexual but I never told anyone. Then I thought I was gay. Now I'm seriously not sure - but it no longer bothers me.

16. ICTOAUN

i used it as a stepping stone for a couple months. i was so confused. and still partly in denial. i didnt want to accept that i only liked girls. i at least wanted to be somewhat normal by liking guys too. didnt work out.

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>It must be somewhat common then. As you mentioned in another thread, Elton John was notable for doing it and for all I know, there are probably other celebrities as well.

I'm actually reading an Elton John biography. Elton had almost gotten married in the late 60s, and then tried to commit suicide (halfheartedly, if one can do that) rather than go through with it. Listen to "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" for further information. :slight_smile: But after coming out as bisexual back in 1976 or so, he did get married - to a woman - in the mid-80s. So either he really DID feel he was bisexual, or he was doing some rather hardcore denial for the public for almost a decade after his coming-out. And it'd be one thing to marry a woman in the 80s to quash gay rumors, but after public admitting bisexuality? That seems a bit much.

An odd thing about the biography. The author quotes a few people (and further states himself) to the effect that Elton John isn't truly bisexual, but straight. "It's the business that did this to him." Seriously. The basic premise of the book in regards to his sexuality is "Hey, everyone's a bit bisexual, and being in the music business, especially in the 70s, could lead anyone to believe they're bisexual, but really they're not."

The biography was written in 1990. It's nice to be reminded how far we've come in two decades.

Lex

18. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I like both men and women. Sometimes I think I lean more towards men than women though.