1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Complain?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ben, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Ben

Ben

Hey guys, sorry if this is a bit all over the place but I'm really sick at the moment xD maybe that's why I'm making this thread, because I'm pissed at the world right now. But hear me out.

Basically, when I was about 12-14, I remember certain PE teachers at my school picking on me. I mean, I always thought it was okay because they were teachers and I just brushed it off, but looking back, I'm really pissed at some of the things they said about me.
    It was basically all about the way I ran, back in the day. Two teachers who took PE used to always comment in front of all of the boys about how I ran like a girl and crack homophobic jokes about it. Now I remember their names, but this was about seven years ago now, they might not even teach at that school anymore. But I hate to think that others would have to be humiliated like that.

Then there was this other teacher. I used to be in the bottom team for sports because I was pretty rubbish, haha, but running was actually one of the things I was good at. Anyway, at the time my health was deteriorating and whenever I would exercise a lot I would get very wheezy and disorientated. So this one teacher was taking us for running exercises one day, but when we'd all finished he got us all together and, in front of everyone, told me that I was running like a girl and I that had to run around the fields until I was "sweating and running like a man". All the boys just sat there for a while watching me run and it was bloody humiliating.

Anyway, I'm looking back on these things now and realising how pissed off I am with it all. It's harsh stuff, but I'm not sure if any of it is actually against the rules or anything, I just know that I don't want other kids at that school going through the same thing.
    So should I just leave it because it was long ago, or should I file a complaint with the school?

Thanks lovers

x

2. The Dudeh

The Dudeh Guest

Personally, I'd file a complaint. Sure it was a long time ago, but I can bet they're still the same people with the same mindframes.

3. ByoNexus

That's sick. It's sounds to me like abuse, plain and simple. Sure, they didnt hit you or anything, but if they did something that makes you say, 'Humiliating', then thats abuse. I'd file a complaint, but only if the same teachers were still working at the school. Otherwise, it probably wont change anything today.

4. RedState

File a complaint on something that happened in middle school 7-8 years ago?

No.

5. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. I'd want to do it. For the kids there now who they might still be doing it to.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm not sure how much it can be done by filing a complain since you aren't a student anymore, but you might not be the first one to do so and one complain after another can certainly make something happen. That being said, you don't lose anything by doing it so I say go for it! :slight_smile:

You could also contact the teachers by email or a letter. Not to attack them or take it out on them, but to at least let them know how much they affected you. Might not have any effect at all on most of them, but if you get to change one single person then that's what counts.

Edit: If you remember any teachers that were either supportive at least once then its also a good idea to write to them and thank them. That way you give them a reason to keep being supportive for other students.

7. olides84

Yeah I doubt a complaint would do much of anything this many years later. Like said above maybe an email or letter (or perhaps a visit to your old stomping grounds when school is in session) would be more useful. You could address the teachers directly, and doing this would probably be more cathartic in the long run (*hug*)

8. feelindown

feelindown Guest

look, that was bloody years ago. no you should not file a complaint. what's really going on is that you are older and you are more confident in yourself but you are angry at what people said to you. i got called a fag when i was a kid and it hurt, does that mean i need to track the kids down and file a complaint against them. look, you are going back to the PAST. move on a learn a lesson from this:

1. if you feel disrespected, address it at the time
    2. if you hear other people saying comments like this NOW against you or other people, and you want to stand up to it, then do so NOW
    3. if you see other kids being picked on, offer them encouraging words.

but seriously trying to file a complaint about something like this is passive aggressive. you are dealing with past hurt when you need to be dealing with what's going on in your life now.