1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who can i come out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alan t, Jul 10, 2011.

1. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hear coming out makes you much happier so I want to just get past that. I'm really dying in here, I spend way too much time thinking about it. It makes me depressed a lot and interferes with everything.

But I don't want to tell my parents/family right now. They're not homophobic but we never talk about stuff like this and it just never comes up. Whenever I see them I feel no desire at all to think about coming out or anything. But the rest of the time I'm obsessed with it. Maybe if I tell more other people first it'll help and then I can tell them eventually?

I've told my best friend from back in school but he lives far away. I only told him over the internet. It's not the same as a real person who I see in real life.

So the problem is I don't know who else? I don't want to sound whiny but I don't actually have any friends here. I had two but one moved away for good and the other one left town for the whole summer. I could try to talk to him when he's back but that won't be for two months.

2. Mogget

Well, start by coming out to your long-distance friends.

3. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    That's how it worked out for me when I finally worked up the courage to tell my mom, even though I knew she"d be supportive. Maybe you could try going to a GLBTQ group, if there is one near you. There, you can be out and talk to other people who could be in the process of coming out too.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Coming out to friends and creating a support network is always the easiest thing to do.

Since you need friends and in need of coming out, what about going to an LGBT group or something along those lines? You could kill two birds with one stone :slight_smile:

5. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    what else is there along those lines? The LGBT student group here doesn't have many events over the summer, the only ones are for women. There's no other one around.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Agh, forgot about summer. Is there an LGBT center around your area maybe? What about any other uni or college?

Depending on your city, there are also groups that do activities together. Like jogging, some kind of sport or things like that for LGBT people.

If none of those options are open then I would go with just joining any other group that strikes your interest. The goal here is to be around other people that share some kind of interest with you :slight_smile:

7. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. Good luck.

8. feelindown

feelindown Guest

if you do not have any friends there who are you coming out to? maybe i dont understand. maybe what you are saying is that you just want other people to know and you are tired of hiding it. someone else said join some lbgt groups and events in your area. i think that is a good idea. you can feel comfortable coming out there and build up a network. then you can come out to your parents and family if you want to. but only come out to them when you are ready and when you are sure that this is what you want to do.