1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents. -_-

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Markio, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Markio

Do any of you have parents that frustrate you? Do you ever feel like they are more immature than you are?

I do! My parents have a tendency to NOT listen to each other very well. My mom will say something unclear that makes my dad impatient or annoyed, and then he'll counter with something that hurts my mom's feelings, and then my mom will take what he says personally and she won't explain why she is upset, so then my parents will just not talk for a month. I wish they could just communicate clearly to each other, and recognize when their words are mean-spirited and apologize to each other!
    Because I'm so empathic (positive spin! :slight_smile:), I would always feel stressed out and sad when they're not talking and I'm around them. Luckily, at least now I don't feel at fault for their own communication issues. But since I'm at home without a car or nearby friends, I can't exactly go be around other people while they do this. I'll probably just spend more time at the library or working in my room if they stop talking again.

It frustrates me sometimes! :bang: What about you?

2. CluelessMe

I know exactly how that is and it is really annoying but at least they are still together because mine aren't and it's probably because of a lack of communication

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My entire family can be slightly insane tbh. I mean my mother is judgmental and judges people based on the class of family they come from. She doesn't like my boyfriend because in her eyes he's low class and thus shouldn't be with me because I'm middle-high class. Apparently it's still the 1600s to her.

My aunt used everything that i told her when I needed her support to come out to my mother against my mother now that I'm out >_> and as a result my mother basically told me that once my grandparents pass away she's done with the extended family. She's also basically cut off communication with my step-brothers and step-sister just because she wanted to be included in their life (photos in their house, etc) and yeah...the whole thing frankly is just sheer stupidity. I feel like I'm the only mature one anymore....

4. acd92

WOW. Just...wow...I really know exactly what you're talking about. I feel like my parents always argue to the point of biting each others' heads off and then sweep everything under the rug without really dealing with the issues at hand. I'm honestly just used to these really high-stress situations, which I know really aren't good for you...I just kind of end up stuck in the middle of these massive arguments... :frowning2:

5. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents are so loco. They like argue over stupid stuff because my father says stuff that unintentionally gets my mother mad, then they argue, and then the next day they're fine. I don't get being a parent.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents are the same way....

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a truly amazing book called "Just Listen" that describes the biological processes that occur in the brain when arguments start, and some simple and practical ways of communicating to defuse them. Even if only one parent will read it and follow the instructions, it can still have a profound effect in reducing or eliminating arguments. If you can get both parents to read it, and they both make an effort to use the techniques described, it can nearly eliminate the communication breakdowns that cause those sorts of arguments.

Of course, if people are just hardheaded and fundamentally disagree, then they're still going to disagree... but the book helps people get to the core of the issues instead of getting bogged down in miscommunication.

8. mischa91

My parents are exactly the same. I work with my dad so he tends to complain a lot to me about my mam which can be pretty uncomfortable. If they're having one of their 'not talking arguments' i just ignore them both and try not to take sides.

I'm lucky i don't live at home any more, plus i have a spare room at my house in case oe of them need to have a break from the other one.