1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on changing my parents minds???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hidden Angel, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Hey has anyone here got any ideas on how I could change my parents minds and convince them that being gay is not wrong with out them figuring out that I am gay just yet? I want to get them in a better frame of mind around these sort of things before I come out to them. (*hug*)

#1 Hidden Angel, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2007
  2. pirateninja

You could attempt a conversation about homosexual related issues by saying its for some kind of school project. Are your parents against it for religious reasons or just because?

3. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Just because as far as I can tell, they are not overly religious even though I am the only one in the family that doesn't believe in go (I stick to science). They just seem to think that it is wrong and thats that in their opinion.

4. biisme

you could say that a random friend at school, no one specific, is gay and see what tehir reactions are and try and convince them from there....

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You could rent Brokeback Mountain.

6. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Lol, my mom just LOVED when I rented that movie. I wouldn't advise doing it until they become more open to the fact that you're a homo.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well I don't know. You could warn them about the tent scene but tell them that its a really good movie and really opens mind about homosexuality. Tons of straight people have testified to that fact. Just go back and read some of the reviews.

8. Zec24

Youu could definitely approach them about a story about a friend, or actually something you read in the news. I usually use current events to gage the reactions of friends to certain controversial topics. I'll bring up the recent news article and then start a conversation about it and then sit back and listen.

I didn't really know what my parents' stance was on homosexuality when I came out to them. So when we talked I was kind of shocked to realize that my mother in particular thought it was a choice, and my father thought it was an alternative to the norm. Oh well.

Just don't do what I did with my parents. Educate yourself before you talk to them and by you sounding confident and knowledgeable maybe they will follow suite. I wish I had taken the time to educate myself before I talked to my parents. They asked me too many tough questions, ones I wasn't ready to answer. Anyways after talking about it initially, its taken me until recently (a year has passed) to talk to them about my being gay again.

They seem to be stuck in the same place as they were a year ago unfortunately and for that I blame myself. I'll see them at christmas and we are going to have a good sit down talk then. For me this is like coming out all over again.

So, I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are with talking to your parents. I was pretty comfortable up until that point, but this has put a slight rift in our relationship one I will be working on mending now.

Hope that helped a little although I think I got a little off topic there.

9. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Hey, thanks for all the advice you have given me. As for the advice on renting Broke back Mountain I have done the same with Imagine You and Me and my mother sat through that movie repeatedly going on about how disgusting it was so i think i lost out on that one.:bang:

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well it may be the only thing that's going to change her mind is YOU!

11. SpikySpice

Gay love romantic movies may work with moms, but not with dads. my dad didnt make bad coment botu Brokeback, but he didnt liek it. But if you want to show him, besure to show gay movies taht dont have sex scenes

Yiou need theories, you need soemthing to prove/convince that gay is not wrong to both parents.

That's right, fight fo ryourself, stand up for gay community,as an individual, you can sho wthat gay people are good people, friendly, nice, warm, and are as normal as other people, fun to hang around with.

Your parents love you, book,s DVDs, TV may not affect them, but yiou can

Now be patient, though, it may take time for some parents, once your parents show they are ok, it's green light:thumbsup:

Good luck:icon_bigg