1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing 'interested in' on facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mentoaddict, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mentoaddict

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I may be bi but truthfully I have never had a real relationship so can't know completely until I have had relationships with people of both sexes, I first thought that I may in fact not be completely straight when I had a huge crush on a gay guy, I know having a crush on someone who is gay doesn't make me gay as they are of the opposite sex but it made me rethink my orientation. I would just as happily say wow she's hot as I would say he's hot. I don't want to make a big deal out of the whole thing as I don't feel as though coming out is necessary in the sense that I don't think that you should need to tell someone I'm bi or I'm gay any differently than being straight as a straight person doesn't have to go up to their parents and say I'm straight. So I figured as I am interested in having a relationship with either a male or a woman for now should I change my 'interested in' on facebook to men and women? I feel as though maybe I'm lying by leaving it as interested in men even though I'm still trying to figure everything out.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I think I may be bi but truthfully I have never had a real relationship so can't know completely until I have had relationships with people of both sexes.

Well, I can't speak for you, but I was pretty sure I was gay long before I got a boyfriend. :slight_smile: And even having a relationship with both sexes won't necessarily solve the issue for you. If your relationship with a guy (or girl) ends up going horribly, does it mean you're not straight (or gay), or does it mean the person you were with was just a lousy person for you to be in a relationship with?

There's nothing wrong with having incorrect information on Facebook. I don't recall if FB has a "confused" or "still working it out" option (and if they don't, they should), but if so, that might be the one to go with for right now. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. mentoaddict

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for the reply :slight_smile: Did you always know your sexual orientation or did it take a long time to figure it out? There is no trying to figure it out option on facebook which is frustrating, I'm guessing I'm trying to get an answer from other people on something that should be my own decision D: I just don't want people to say i'm attention seeking or anything if I change my mind

4. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, personally, I've known I liked guys since I was in 7th grade. I thought I was bi, but then when I had my first girlfriend who I really liked and kissed her, I felt nothing, so I knew I was gay. For me, it didn't take too long to realize I liked guys, but realizing I was completely gay took a little while. It might be more difficult for someone who is bi, but I'm just saying that it didn't take too long for me to figure out my sexuality.

I hope I helped a little bit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Just Passing

After my initial and only experience with a guy years ago, I've known I was gay even when questioning myself. It's about what feels right for you and just go along with it.

6. KittyKat05

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, my best advice is don't say anything until you're sure with yourself that you are gay, bi-sexual or what have you. Not because of the attention seeking aspect, but because then you'll have confidence within yourself to stand your ground. If you're unsure about a topic, how well can you defend it? I knew I like other women since I was very young and I didn't come to terms with it until a year ago, and even then I didn't know if I was just bi, or a lesbian.

But this is just me adding to it because everything else I wanted to say has been said.

It's hard being confused, but it's harder to be something you're not. So if it helps you could be in a relationship with someone of the same sex and see what happens. =)

7. mentoaddict

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you :slight_smile: I have thought about talking about it with my gay friend as I know he would understand and hopefully give me some good advice but I think everything has been said by all of you, thank you! I just hate being in this confused state and just want to be able to put a label on it if you get what I mean. For now I will stick with just being me and see where it takes me! I know my friends will accept me no matter what. Now I just wish I knew who I am exactly and I really don't know how much of my perception and everything has came from who I am around, I mean I hadn't even thought about nor considered myself being anything but straight a few years ago when I didn't know any gay people. I guess that now it seems more normal I have allowed myself to open myself up to the possibility though I really have no idea either way at the moment, who could think you could be so confused! Now I know what people mean when they say that coming to terms with your sexuality is hard, I never thought it was as in my opinion I am fine with people being with either men or women so there should be no fuss, but it's devastating to no know, I wish things were just black or white everything in between is just confusing me!

8. acd92

It really helps to think of sexuality as this ever-evolving, ever-changing spectrum (think about the Kinsey scale). It took one particular experience for me to realize that I may be interested in the same sex, and before then I was really in the confused state for a while. Just to give you an idea: I went on two dates with straight guys and crushed on one other one. I would really say the best thing to do for now is to give yourself time to figure it all out. Just keep an open mind and an open heart and things with sort themselves out.

Best of luck to you! :slight_smile: