1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with transgender issues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LovexGinger, Jul 12, 2011.

1. LovexGinger

Hi,

I'm a 17 year old boy. The only problem is that a lot of times I don't feel like a boy. Usually I feel like a girl. I've worn make up, girl clothing, I've even gone out shopping with a girl before. And it's a lot of fun for me. But I really want to take the extra step.

But I do like girls too. I also still want to join the marine corps when I get older. I still want to be me, just as a girl.

But the whole telling my parents thing scares me to death. My family is my life and I couldn't live as a man or woman without them. So I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Ian

2. mentoaddict

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Truthfully I think you should just follow what feels right and do whatever makes you happy. Parents can be much more accepting than you think. When I told my parents about my bulimia I was terrified but ended up being a happier person because of it. Be brave, Bravery in my eye is doing something even though you are truly terrified, and usually it's worth it. Just remember parents love their children no matter what so will accept you whatever you choose, even though they may not show it well initially due to the shock, once they have come to terms with it they are an amazing support with everything you choose to do :slight_smile: Good luck

3. Hot Pink

Take from my experience and tell your parents. They may surprise you. You can still like girls and even join the Marines as a woman. Just because you're a girl on the inside and start transitioning to be one physically doesn't mean you can't do certain things anymore.

4. Bibliophile

Just a heads up when it comes to the Marine Corps. You can join being transgendered but you cannot be part way through a transition. You must be fully women in a physical sense or fully male. I am sure you knew this but I thought I would explain the regulations to you as I am former military myself.

5. LovexGinger

How exactly do I tell my parents? I mean they are great parents but complete bible thumpers. :/

6. ToTheCeilingFan

I'd start by bringing up something about gay/trans rights in the news (there's a lot right now) and seeing what their response is. That'll let you test the waters before you make a decision about when to come out. (*hug*)

7. LovexGinger

How did you tell your parents?

8. Haberdasher

Educate them. That'd be the first thing I worked on, make sure they weren't getting their ideas of trans people from Jerry Springer but instead from actual medical sources. Also, perhaps, mention that you've been struggling with your gender identity and you would like to see a therapist, then find a trans-friendly therapist who is sure to provide you with a GID diagnosis. Sometimes, if it is an official diagnosis from the DSM parents view it as more "legitimate".

Once they understand that this is widely accepted to have a physical cause (even if the details are not known) and that transition had the highest sucess rate (opposed to conversion therapy) for living a full and sucessful life for trans individuals and you have an offcial diagnosis, they may perhaps accept it as a medical condition (which is really is).

Best of luck to you.

9. Hot Pink

I started going to a therapist and then used a family therapy session to come out to my parents.

10. LovexGinger

Yes but how? What did you say?

11. Haberdasher

You're probably going to have to work that out for yourself. What might've been a good strategy for HotPink's parents might not work with yours. Plus, even if you got a script that's a high-emotion moment and it won't be easy to keep to it.

Of course, if HotPink wants to provide a transcript it may be helpful to have a basic idea for it, and there's always google for finding the coming out letters of other trans people.

12. LovexGinger

Yeah, I'm just nervous they won't accept me. :frowning2:

13. Olive

I know exactly what you're going through. I've felt like I should be a female for a great long time, and I plan on joining the Coast Guard. It's also kinda scared me with all the drama with "Don't ask, Don't tell". But I plan on enlisting as Food Service, so maybe that'd make this a bit easier(Thank you gender roles!)

14. thedylan

I went through the same thing but I came to my senses of who I believe I should be and unfortunately I did tell my parents already by this point but they did support me but I think you should do just fine most parents are really accepting.

15. Bibliophile

Trust me when I say most people in the military dont give a damn. I served for six years and the only thing people ever cared about was if you do your job and are a decent person. I myself was closeted except to a few people but there were several openly gay and lesbian people on the ship I served on. The only thing people ever did was tease a flamboyantly gay guy that was in the supply shop but that was out of friendship and never mean spirited.