1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on FB?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by QuestionMark, Jul 13, 2011.

1. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Guest

I haven't come out yet and it's starting to eat away my soul. I know people have different ways of coming out that they are comfortable with, but for some reason I feel Facebook would be the best method for myself.

For people who have had similar experiences, what is the best way to do it? Over chat with a friend? Write a longer message to them when they're not online? Or just change your "Interested in" section on your profile? Is this even a good idea? It might just come out randomly when I'm talking to someone.

The only thing I'm afraid of though is that lots of my friends hack into each other's accounts and post spam, or pretend to be that person. So if I come out to someone on FB, it might not actually be the person I think it is, and I do NOT want to be in that situation.

Even if you haven't had experience with this, some advice would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Thank you:icon_bigg

2. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could change your interested in section, but most people don't look at it. The way most do it is by posting as message on you profile page or just sending out messages to your friends. Good luck.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

There really isn't a set of rules on how you should go about coming out and you should always go ahead and do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

The only thing that you should try to keep in mind is to try and get a support system before coming out to people like family or at school. Your support system should be people that you are able to go to when things get rough or if you get a reaction that isn't very pleasant and you should be able to trust them with your secret.

If you keep those things in mind then you are golden. Go ahead and send a FB message to one of your close friends if you want :slight_smile:

Best of luck!

4. Noah27

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well FB is the way Iam planing on coming out. Iam going to change my status to "Sorry ladieas Iam gay :grin:" that way I can just come out to the world all at once. I choose this way cuz it reflects who Iam a funny guy and plus its safe cuz if you see that it goes sour just say it was a joke cuz its light enough to pass as one. You should try this way just so you can see how your friends react but remamber if they dont want to be your friend just cuz of that then they are the ones missing out on a good friendship not you :grin: