1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of the Hardest Things I've Ever Written (and sent)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aceofnoise23, Jul 14, 2011.

1. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is coming out to my sister. Who I love dearly. And I know that this isn't nearly as good as some of the other people's coming out letters are. But here's my attempt.

I need to let you know.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to tell what I'm going to tell you just by the title or not, but here it goes.

Ever since I was in grade school I knew I "different". I knew I wasn't like the other guys. They were into sports and being manly, while I just kept to myself and stayed quiet. (Hence my inability to stop talking now...) The others would play sports and talk about girls and themselves and whatnot, and I felt completely disconnected.

I have tried to suppress these feelings of being different, but to no avail. In high school, I felt even more different. It was grade school x10. I felt even more different, and even more of an outcast at grade school. Not friends wise, I mean like there was almost no one there that seemed as lost as I was. However, with me FINALLY hitting puberty, these feelings got even more intense. I knew something was totally different. After a lot of thought and a whole lot of soul searching (maybe a good meltdown or two), I finally realized. I'm gay.

This year, I also felt like we got a lot closer; you being away at college seemed to make us better siblings. I guess what we both needed was some time apart. I feel like I can tell anything to you that I need to, but not this. I would never be able to tell you all of this in person. It would be a total mess. You are the only person in our family that knows that I'm gay, and I'd like it to stay that way for awhile.

I know this isn't necessarily the time to tell you. But then again, will there ever be? I felt like I couldn't lie to you anymore. I love you big sister, and I hope this will bring us even closer. I love you.

~Your Wittle Brother, -insert cute nickname here-

2. I think it's perfect. And if my little brother ever wrote me this letter, I'd cry and get back as soon as I could to hug him.

3. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good job.

4. Eleanor Rigby

That's a wonderful letter. Let us know how things go with your sister.
    (*hug*) Cécile

5. Fiddledeedee

No letter is better than any other; they are as unique as a fingerprint because each of them is for a different situation. Keep us posted! (*hug*)

6. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AHH MY SISTER IS AWESOME. She took it so well. She asked if I was okay, and if I needed her, she'd be there. And she said I could talk to her best friend's gay brother if I needed advice, but he's too beautiful and I'd probably choke just trying to talk to him haha. But yeah. I couldn't have gotten a better result. :slight_smile:

7. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That is awesome! I hope things continue to go well for you. :slight_smile:

8. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG that made me tear up!! Beautiful letter, and I'm glad she took it well. Congratulations. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

9. i need help

It was amazing...both the letter and the response you got...I think you right about needing time apart...after my sister went off to school we got hella close it was very nice...

10. Eleanor Rigby

That's wonderful ! I'm happy for you that your sister is awesome and supportive :slight_smile:

11. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what a beautiull letter, i love the way wrote it, thats fantastic. i am glad that your sister accepted you for who you are.

I was like you, confused, scared and realy afraid of what it is inside me, that makes me diferent to the regular boys in school. But my family situation was a little different. My sister and I used to fight like cats and dogs.

my folks from an early age on tought us to clean the house, so by the time we went to school we did the dishes. during this time we used to fight, threw plates, knifes, forks, pots and pans at one another. It made WW1 & WW2 looks like child's play.

Then my parents seperated us, one does the lunch dishes while the other does the evening dishes, this helped a bit, but not alot.

Then she went to highschool and slowly but surely we got closer together. She was the first to finish school, and then we started to get on famously, today we are good friends, only her choice in a man is pathetic and that little ashole doesn't want me in his house, so as an efect, i only see her once a year for a couple of days and sometimes we chat on facebook.

When i came out to her, she told me she always knew i was different, she knew i was gay. i guess that she and her boyfriends caught me and a guy in the living room one evening when i was experementing who i was and if i am realy gay was what finaly opened her eyes.

She and her boyfriend went to england and send a video tape at the end of the year to my parents. we all looked at it, the whole family was there. there is a part in the tape where they explored some beautifull waterfall and she mentions very loudly to her boyfriend "Only if my gay brother was here, i think he would love this."

Whether my family picked it up or not i don't know but i only came out to my parents a few years later.

The thing is what i am trying to tel you here, is that no matter what we think, our closest family members knows if we are gay, the thing is they don't say anything untill you have the courage to tell. I love this act, cause it helps us to get the courage to come out to those that is not close family members or that it helps to come out to your folks.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That is a brilliant letter. It's not an edited copy/paste of someone else's. It is from you, about you, from your heart. It says everything that needs to be said. And the amazing response from your sister confirms that.