1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a little advice please

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by betrayed7114, Jul 15, 2011.

1. betrayed7114

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ok so i told my family i was a lesbain , my sister was ok with it but my mom is'nt. my sister once asked if a character in a movie was a guy or agirl, and mom said'' It's a lesbain'' she said it like the girl wasnt even human. should i confront her again, if so how?

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC, you dont say how long it is since you told you Mum, if it was recently then perhaps you should just give her a bit of time to take it all in, you could possibly get her some information on it written for parents. If it was a while ago then it might be good to bring it up again, it depends on the situation, can you get your sister to try and help you get your Mum to understand?

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to EC!

As silverhalo mentioned give your mom some time. Sometimes, parents need a bit of time to come around and to realize that nothing will really change. Your coming out to your mom came most likely as a surprise to her.

Parents have their own dreams for their children, and when one comes out, part of these dreams need to be re-adjusted. For some parents that adjustment can take some time. Sometimes, parents also start worrying about the future for their child and that worrying is displayed in different ways. There are however, things you can do.

Show your mom that your sexual orientation doesn't change anything about you and that you are still the same person that you were before you came out. You can provide that reassurance by being yourself around your mom. Also, maybe leave a few pamphlets for your mom to read in her own time. PFLAG has a few good resources, including "Our Daughters and Sons: Questions and Answers for Parents of Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual People." Maybe print out a copy and leave it for your mom to read.

Try to give her the time she needs to come around to it. Should she start asking questions or wanting to talk to you about it, try to make time and sit down with her. You are the best person to educate her and also to provide reassurances.

Hope this helps a bit!

4. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree totaly with Mirko and Silverhalo, just another advice... once you know she is over the initial shock, and you have a girlfriend, invite her over one day so you mom can meet her, and she will know (hopefully) that you are in good hands! that always help to reasure parents.

Like my parents when my BF told them i am gay (too scared to do it myself) they told the both of us that they know their son is in good hands, that he will look after me and that they do not need to worry about me.

My dad though had many questions which we sat down in the living room and we answered them. It helped him to come to grips of who i realy am.

5. betrayed7114

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thhanks for the advice guys .i told her aboout 3 months ago. but the funny thing is that her bestfrind in bisexual. But i mean before i told her i was a depressed shell of a person. for about a month after i told her i was fine but lately it feels like she is trying to alienate me from my family so im back to sleeping all the time reeading and listening to my faveriote band. i didtry to invite my girlfriend over but she doesnt want annyone to know shes bi, so that wont work. sorry im pouring this on you guys.