1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend acting weird

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mark182, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was with three of my guy friends last Thursday, two of them knew that I was gay (A and K), the other guy(J) didn't but I ended up telling him because A made some stupid joke about me being gay and J was really confused so I didn't really have a choice but to tell him!

He didn't say anything apart from 'oh' for a very long time after I told him but the other guys started talking about it so it wasn't too awkward and eventually J said something like 'oh wasn't expecting that but it's cool'. The rest of the day J was a little awkward but it wasn't so bad and I didn't really think anything of it.

J only lives a couple houses away from me so we see each other practically every day so on Friday morning he was outside with his little brother so I went out to talk to him and he was really weird, like he obviously didn't want to talk to me and he wouldn't even look at me so after a couple minutes (which felt like hours) he said he had to go inside.
    I figured since nothing else had happened it was to do with me being gay. I know that he's not homophobic. I mean he's said on many occasions how he hates homophobes! So I just came to the conclusion that he just needed time to get used to it so I decided I'd kinda back away for a couple days.

So on Monday a group of our friends met up. I had a music lesson so I came like over an hour later than everyone else. J hardly spoke; you usually can't get him to shut the hell up! and he left early , he said his parents were going out so he had to babysit but when I got home his parents and his little brothers were at my house so that obviously wasn't true!
    My friend A came back to my house after so I asked him if J had been like that all day and he said that he only went like that when I came. So A said he was going to J's house tomorrow and he'd try and find out what was going on.

On Tuesday night I was talking to A on Facebook and he said that he asked J if he was okay cause he'd been acting kinda weird and J said that everything was fine or whatever. Later on A suggested that they call for me but J said he didn't want to. *I'm just gonna write it how A sent it to me cause that's easier lol *
    A: Why don't you want him here?
    J: I just don't want to see him
    A: Why? What did he do?
    J: He didn't do anything, I just don't wanna see him
    A: Considering ye were fine until he told you he was gay is it that?
    J: No,I don't care about that. You know I don't have a problem with that!
    He said it got weird after that so they just changed topic.
    But A asked me 'do you think that J is gay, cause I've always thought that he is...maybe that’s why he’s being weird?'

He does kinda come off as being gay, I had always thought that he was but in the last year are so he’s changed a lot and I don’t really get a gay vibe from him anymore but I’m not really sure!

On Thursday J and I were meant to go to this show. We’d planned it weeks ago. The night before he text me saying that he couldn’t go anymore because he had to see his grandparents. On Thursday I saw him in at the movies with another friend but they didn’t see me. So I was really pissed off. When I went home that night he was outside so I asked him why he blew me off. He denied it for a while then just kept saying that he was sorry. So this was our conversation
    Me: If you don’t wanna be friends anymore just tell me
    J: We’re still friends
    Me: Then what’s wrong?
    J: Nothings wrong, everything’s fine
    Me: It obviously isn’t. Just tell me what I’ve done
    J then started balling cry he’s not an emotional guy so that’s really weird for him. I’ve known him my entire life and I’ve never seen him cry or even be upset. So I kept asking him what was wrong and telling him that he could tell me but he didn’t say anything. When he stopped crying he said that he was really sorry and just went home.

So on Friday our friends met up again and J didn’t talk to me. He was really awkward and quiet whenever I was close to him but he was completely normal with everyone else and seemed fine with them.

Can anybody figure out what’s going on with him? Does anyone see something that would be causing him to act that way? Does anyone have any advice on it because he’s one of my best friends and I already miss talking to him so much.

2. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I think he could be confused or shocked by the situation. Many people act kind of weird once they know a person is gay. But as I see with your best friend's case, I think he could be having a secret of his own or he is hiding something (maybe a personal problem) that made him burst into tears.

I would just advice that you keep close to him whatever happens but always keep distance from him by not bugging him too much or presenting the event to him. It would be better if you will act like nothing happened and be just the same person he knew.

It's okay to worry but not too much, it may burden him more. Give him support, and you take care^_^.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not clear really what's going on. Maybe he DOES have issues with you being gay after all, but is still working through that. Maybe he is gay himself, and has to work through that. And (as reluctant as I might be to suggest this), maybe he's not only gay himself, but is finding himself getting feelings for you...and perhaps he's not ready to deal with that just yet.

Whatever his issue is, he still needs time and (apparently) distance from you to work through it. So give it to him. Tell him you didn't mean to browbeat him into dealing with whatever it is he's wrestling with, but you'll go ahead and give him the space he needs. Then, do it. If he bows out of group activities, don't take it personal. Just give him the time and space to figure out what's going on.

Lex

4. CrazyAntFarm

I got to agree with Lex here.... it can be quite possibly ANY one of the things he mentioned. My best guess is that he's struggling with his own sexuality. Some people have a hard time staring at themselves in the mirror when they haven't accepted something about themselves yet, and maybe you represent that mirror for him.

Normally, I would say that he isn't really comfortable with you being gay after all, but the emotional "breakdown" he had seems deeper than that. Just be yourself, and don't put too much pressure on him. If he is gay, I suspect that he may come out to you soon.

5. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There could be many reasons why he is acting the way he is... here is some thoughts i had.

1: he says he hates homophobics, but in secret he might be one (The stupid one first)

2: He is actualy shocked. Remember you two grew up together, for him finding out might be seen in his point of view that he has been lied to. He needs time to work through the issues. just be who you are always and that in turn will show him that you are still the same person.

3: He might be gay himself, he is still deep in the closet and may not yet be ready to come out. It could be that he is afraid that people will start calling him gay beacuse he hangs out with you. He is afraid that someone might find out his "dirty little" secret. The fact that you said you used to get this gay vibe from him proofs that, the reason why he changed might be that someone somewhere at some time asked him if he were gay. Now he is paranoid of someone finding out thus he changed his whole manner, to throw people off.

He is not completely avoiding you or he would never be there when all your friends get together... Keep this always in mind. he told you that you are still friends, so keep this in mind too.

i would suggest to give him space, avoid asking him what is wrong and why he is acting the way he is around you. it will take some time but when he is ready you will know and you can start mending your friendship the way it was before... mostly i hope that your friendship with him will reach a much deeper level than before.

6. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, give him time to figure things out. He seems confused of the situation for some reason. Yes, maybe he is gay himself and has not come to grips with it. ive him a little space to clear his mind.

7. HantsBen

Give him some time, at first reading I would have said that he is possibly homophobic but doesn't admit it but as your story went on and he started crying when he is not like that there must be something emotionally wrong there and he could quite possibly be gay. Time will tell.

8. Just Passing

I can't say any more other than repeat what's already suggested, but it is rather odd.

He says he's not homophobic, yet he could be. Or he just can't comprehend the idea of someone close to him, friend or otherwise being gay, when he was just perfectly satisfied with the idea of supporting GLBT individuals without knowing any. Then he could be struggling with his own sexuality.

Who knows, but he needs to man up and stop acting strange, but perhaps giving him some time is best.

9. Salazar

I think he could be gay. I would have said he had a problem with it up to the point where he started crying, at which point I thought is was a bit weird that a straight guy was crying for no reason. He could be gay and having huge trouble accepting it. Or maybe he just has odd ways of expressing himself having a problem with it for another reason.

10. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the replies guys (*hug*)

I guess it would make sense if he's gay. The more I think about it the more reasons I can think of that he could be gay...I'm still not so sure though. I feel kinda bad if that is the reason though. I don't wanna make him have to think about it or whatever.

I'll do my best to give him space.It's hard to do that already though :icon_sad:.
    Hopefully it won't take too long!

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he IS gay, it's something he has to eventually think about, and come to terms with. Putting it off won't change that. And if you weren't the one bringing it up, somebody else eventually would. So don't sweat it too much.

Lex

12. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Lex, I guess you're right :slight_smile:

13. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Today my family went to the beach and my mom decided to invite J without telling me about it first. So J came with us reluctantly, I'm sure his mom probably forced him.
    I tried to talk to him in the car on the way up and he, well he wasn't himself but we were talking!

When we got there J and I went surfing. After a while he started acting normal.We were joking around and stuff and it was great.
    Then I somehow managed to smack myself across the head with my surf board so I said I was gonna go to the car for a while.I expected him to stay in the sea but he followed me in.

We just sat in the car in silence ,then out of nowhere he kissed me. At the time I was in so much pain so it took me a while to really comprehend what was happening, so I ended up just looking at him funny while he kissed me :eusa_doh:
    So he stopped and we just stared at each other for a few seconds, I tried to think of something to say but my brain went to mush!So neither of us said anything.
    My mom came to the car to see if I was ok and while we were talking J got out and went talking to my brother and his girlfriend. He stayed with them for the rest of the day and even when I went over and spoke to him he just completely ignored me.
    Later on when we were finally alone he started crying and I tried to hug him but he pushed me away so I tried to tell him that it was ok etc and he just started screaming at me about how much he hates me and stuff like that for like 10 minutes and then he just walked off. I just sat on the beach alone for the rest of the time until we finally left.We didn't talk in the car but when we were almost home he typed 'Today never happened' on his Ipod and showed it to me.
    I didn't know what to say so I didn't say anything.

I really want to talk to him but I don't even know what I want or should say!
    I don't know what to do. Should I just leave it and pretend nothing happened? or should I try and talk to him?

14. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Talk to him. No matter what he says to you talk to him. And then if you feel it necessary bring the day back up

15. LookingGlass

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Give him time. Be his friend, but don't force him to spend time with you and don't force yourself on him. He clearly hasn't come to terms with his sexuality. Don't talk about what happened, don't hint at it, don't even look at him funny. Just give him space. If nothing happens after a while (maybe a little after a month or two) then casually ask him to hangout and talk. If he says no, just wait longer.

16. theWorldisYours

I think the best thing to do would to send him a message. an e-mail or something that would allow you to get all of your thoughts out, and for him to have all the time he needs to digest it. Your friend is struggling with his sexuality, and he could probably use your friendship.

17. CrazyAntFarm

I know I said before to give him time and not to pressure him, but since he pretty much tried to suck your face off, it now leaves you with a couple of options. You can....

1. As previously stated, back off and don't mention anything about it. Let things develop on their own, and see what happens.

2. Confront him, but not aggressively. As theWorldisYours suggested, it may be a good idea to send him a message (text or email). I agree with him when he says he could probably use your friendship and reassurance that everything's going to be okay, and if you let this go without saying a word, it may very well lead to him reverting all the way back into the closet again.

At this point, it's a very tricky situation, and either suggestion could work depending on the type of person he is, but that's up to you to decide. I figure you know him enough to know what may work best. The fact that he made a move on you gives you every right to approach him on it though.

If I can just get away with kissing someone and not having to answer for it, the world would be a better place (for me anyway :lol:... )

18. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Talk to him. No matter what he says to you talk to him. And then if you feel it necessary bring the day back up

19. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you like him back?

20. Sadepeura

Wow! That's quite a situation. I guess you found out what bothered him in the end, he seems to like you! :0 Many people have already told you what you could do but I think first you should think about the situation on your own. How do you feel about J? Do you just want your old friendship back? Do you maybe like him more than as a friend?

I would suggest to first think about it for a while and then bring the situation up with him. Just talk about it calmly in private and let him now that you will always be there for him and listen to him.