1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grandparents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ToTheCeilingFan, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ToTheCeilingFan

On Friday I'll leave on vacation with my family to visit my grandparents on my mother's side. This will be the first time I've seen them since I started coming out. I love my grandparents, and they're genuinely good people, but both are very religious (Catholic). My mom has requested that I not come out to my grandparents yet -- I think she's worried that they will blame her parenting. I respect her decision, but I'm worried that things might be awkward -- my grandparents always ask me about boys and whether I have a boyfriend, and I don't think I'll know what to say. I promised myself when I started coming out that I was done with hiding, and that I would never lie about or be ashamed of my sexuality again.
    I also have two young aunts who are both pretty liberal who we'll be visiting at the same time as my grandparents. I'd like to come out to these aunts -- I think they'll be accepting and understanding -- but I'm worried about my grandparents finding out if I tell my aunts, as they're both pretty close with their parents.
    Any advice? :help:

2. suninthesky

Maybe you could tell your mom just that. And maybe you could come out to your aunts, but let them know that as a family you and your mom aren't ready to tell your grandparents and to not bring it up. Also, I would reassure your mom that it wasn't her parenting, and maybe just give her some time. Just my opinion though, good luck!