1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to move out. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheWanderer, Jul 20, 2011.

1. TheWanderer

Im looking again to move out of my parents house and was wondering if anyone had some solid advice to give. I had an apartment once before but went about it all the wrong way, it was a dump and I was miserable.

Any information would help.

2. Sadepeura

What sort of advice do you need? Where are you planning to move? What do you have in mind?

3. TheWanderer

any advice really. when i moved out last time it was last minute and i found myself in a crappy apartment away from anything I was familiar with. This time around Im looking with a roomamte so hoefully bills will be a non issue. I guess what im looking for is stuff that people were blindsided by the first time they moved, unforseen expenses, crappy layouts. Things to look for in the neighborhood. That sort of stuff.

I like to arm myself with info before doing anything. I would ask my parents again, but appearently they never moved out because they give me no feedback at all.

4. feelindown

feelindown Guest

1. make sure to get a roomate that you have something in common with. they do not have to be gay but if you are out or think you may have guys over, the roomie should be aware of this so it wont cause any problems later.
    2. things to look for in apartment: check to make sure it's clean. check behind the fridge and under the cabinents when you inspect the place.
    3 neighbors: you could have a great unit but the people next door suck, knock on their door and let them know you are thinking about moving in and wanted to know if they have parties or loud music or things like that and if they can give you any pros or cons about the place.
    4. ask why the people that were there before left?
    5. if it is in a bad neighborhood, get a 2nd floor or 3rd floor place. if it doesn't have any air you will be forced to have your windows open in the summer time and that may not be safe at night.
    6. look for the signs of a bad neigbhorhood: bars on windows, people standing out on the front lawns constantly, unruly kids playing everywhere.
    7. pets: are pets allowed, do your neighbors have pets? ask these questions.
    8. is it month to month or 6 months lease or 12 months. see if you can get a shorter lease so if you dont like it you can move.
    9. what is or isn't included in the price: gas, electric, trash, hot water, etc. find this out?
    10. maintenance: is there an onsite manager or maintenance person? how do they deal with maintenance concerns, how often do tehy spray for pests and vermin? you want to know this.

5. Bibliophile

Ok clearly do a very good inspection on the place you want to move in. Insure that they have any exsisting damages noted prior to you signing anything. Look at the pros and cons of getting some of the utilities included in the rent. When choosing a roommate choose carefully and the two of you might want to get something in writing between you. Ensure that the chores and bills are CLEARLY defined with your roommate as well as rules for guests and the like.

Then move on to making a list of what you will need moving in. There are always things like spices, potato peeler, cheese grater, small hand towels, etc. that you tend to forget. Its not big things but the little that you will forget and make life harder then need be. I could go on and on with that but I am sure you get the point. If I think of anything more I will post it. Good luck.