1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my sister?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LemonCake, Jul 20, 2011.

1. LemonCake

My sister is younger than me by 2 years and she is openly bisexual. She has lived with women and everything, but I have never been able to admit my attraction to women to her. She doesn't live in the same state as me, and right now she is incarcerated, but she wants to try to live with me when she gets out (which should be within the next year). I do not know if it is wise to tell her, but she is really the only queer person I know very well.

She and I are total and complete opposites. I am a shy computer nerd and she is an outgoing wild child and a bit of a bad girl (she is in jail after all :/ ) I think she would just laugh and drag me to a gay bar or something. In a way I'd want someone to help me out and make me be more outgoing but I am literally so shy that I would probably just stand there staring at my feet or something. I also am not sure if she would use it against me and out me to the rest of my family when she got mad at me.

I'm pretty much a recluse right now. If I don't tell her, I still want to interact with other queers, and possibly try to date someone. I just don't have a whole lot of friends in real life (not even straight ones) and its hard for me to be outgoing around people. This is all complicated by the fact that I live in a small town.

Any advice?

2. Foxywolf

I think it would be in your best interest to tell her. She will most definitely be accepting because she is bi herself. And she may even help you meet other gay people. If your relationship with her is good then hopefully she will not use you being a lesbian against you. You just have to put some trust in her, and maybe ask her not to out you when you first tell her you are gay. And if she does out you, is your family accepting. Do they know she is bi and accept it? If yes then it may be scary at first to have your family know, but in the long run it would be good!

She may help broaden your horizens, help you meet new people.
    I think you should do it! But it is completely up to you, if you feel ready and if you feel like it is the right thing to do.
    Good Luck! Let us know what you decide.

3. LemonCake

Well my mother knows shes lived with women before and stuff but she doesn't think she really is bisexual. Mostly she thinks that my sister wants to shock people. (I do not think this is the case however, as she collects Playboy magazines and such. I think she really is a true bisexual. Besides its supposedly genetic.) My family aren't really conservative, but they'd see what I am as a rebellion, or my mother would lament that she "didn't have any normal children" or something.

I'll probably tell my sister due to my lack of options. I think she'd laugh actually, and say she should've known...

4. LovexGinger

OMG yeah you should tell your sister!

I would love to have a sister to talk to abou my problems. All I got is a dumbass brother who swears and talks about disgusting things. :frowning2:

but you are lucky. Especially since she is bisexual. She could be your gateway to the lesbian world and, by extension, finding happiness and love with a woman. But it's all about having a friend to actually talk to.

This site is great. It's a beautiful idea but not the only place I go to talk. I have my girls that I talk with, swap stories with and it makes me happy because I feel like a real girl when I'm with them. You need a person on the outside. Someone to talk to personally and help you out. Emotion is key in this world and there isn't much online.

With your sister you could go check out girls, flirt, get comfortable in your skin.

She might be your polar opposite but maybe she could rub off on you and make you more outgoing. And you'd both be better for it. It's a win win for you.

Meet girls and fulfill your desires and get more girl time with your sister.

Hope I helped and tell me how it goes!

Lots of love,

Ian

#4 LovexGinger, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  5. LovexGinger

P.S.

Your mom will love you no matter what. Yeah there's a risk she might be upset or angry or something but you're still her daughter. She needs to know how unhappy you are, how empty you feel and you need to let her know that this can't be about her. It's all about YOU right now. Your happiness comes first. Don't forget that.

While it isn't the time to tell her just yet, you really need to work on your shyness. Believe me, I've been there. Shy, scared and afraid of the world. I'd play the worst scenario game all the time. "What if they tell someone and they tell their friends and then the whole school knows and I'll get beaten up and picked on then my family will know and I'll be kicked out and on the streets and oh my god!"

but my ex girlfriend (ironic I know) helped me with that. I learned that you can't live life that way because that's not even living. You have to let NOBODY scare you into silence. You have to stick your head out. Those who never try don't fail but they also don't win.

Your sister wouldn't just run off and tell your family. And if she tries them beat her to the punch. Never let anyone drag you out of the closet.

Hope this add on helps!

Good luck and lots of love,

Ian

(*hug*)