1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to let my college roommate know I'm a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sparklemanatee, Jul 22, 2011.

1. sparklemanatee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Within the next week I'll get an email from my college letting me know who my roommate is. I've known I'm a lesbian for about three years and I've never had a problem being "out." Sure, some people are rude but I try to ignore them.

Any advice as to how to let my random roommate know I'm gay? Should I mention it in an email when I introduce myself? How do I say it? Or should I wait until move up day? I don't really want to surprise her like that. My girlfriend will be attending the same college so I won't really be able (nor do I want to) hide it. I'm happy being out, but I don't know how to tell her.

Advice? :help:

2. Katelynn

First of all, welcome to EC! (*hug*) I hope you find EC as comforting & as supportive as I have!

I just recently started coming out to people I know, & I haven't found it to be the easiet, even when I knew that that person would be supportive. My advice is to wait until you meet your new roommate & get to know her a little. Let her get comfortable with knowing who you really are and then tell her that you're gay. You'll both be living together in what I would think would be a smaller space, so you don't want her to feel uncomfortable from day one. Once she gets to know you, it will be easier to tell you're gay as she will have gotten to know you first & won't feel like it's a huge worrysome thing. You don't want her to think you're telling her right away because you may be attracted to her, you want her to just simply know this is a part of who you are but not all of who you are. Just take your time & let her get to know you & I'm sure when it comes time, she'll have no problem with it because she'll already have become comfortable with you as a friend & roommate first. It might even help to have support from your girlfriend as well, as sometimes things like this can be less scary when you have someone to support you along the way!

Again, welcome to EC!!! (*hug*)

3. LemonCake

I agree with Kiersten... you should wait to meet her to see what kind of person she is.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally wouldn't have any trouble saying so beforehand. Why? You've got a girlfriend. I think that enables you to recast the entire revelation. You no longer have to say "I'm gay". You can simply say "My girlfriend is going to be a student at (name of school), as well, so I honestly don't know how often you'll be seeing me." You've now not only told your roommate that you're gay, but have done so in such a way that indicates "I don't think this is any big deal, and I'm assuming you won't, either". Now it may be that she DOES think it's a big deal, and will have a problem with it. But then she'd have that same problem with it once you moved in. :slight_smile: So if it truly is a sticking point, you can work on changing around your living situations. Easiest route - if your girlfriend is also going to be in the dorms, suggest that HER roommate move in with yours. :slight_smile:

Lex