1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College...oh crap...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justcallmejoey, Nov 20, 2007.

1. justcallmejoey

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my mom and I sat down and where looking at colleges. I wanna stay close to home so thinking instate. But at the same time Denver University is AWESOME. I refuse to move across the country. It's a 12hr drive to California so that's kinda a definent NO. NAU (1-1.5 hrs drive) is closer to home..but less of the classes that I want. DU is farther away (8-9 hrs to drive) but its more of the stuff I want.

Any advice??

2. sdc91

Is ASU any good? What are you into?

3. justcallmejoey

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ASU is good but I just moved out of Phoenix and don't want to go back. I'm an auto mechanic. I'm planning on opening up a shop so I was going to major in business. Currently I am taking a scholarship program for the automotive part. My girlfriend (also a somewhat mechanic) wants nothing to do with the number crunching stuff, but I'm all good with it. I'm fairly sure it's going to be a business major.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Of course it is! My daughter goes there! (!)

5. justcallmejoey

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That's rad!! Probably shouldn't tell you this since your daughter goes there but it's a pretty big party school.

6. Astaroth

Have you ever been to Denver, first of all? I went to college in Denver and enjoyed it tremendously (I didn't go to DU though). The town itself is fairly liberal, which is probably something you're looking for I would assume. If you're looking for nice neighborhoods, I would probably recommend something in the northwest corner of the city (Broomfield or Westminster) or something to the south or southeast (Englewood or Cherry Hills). Both areas are well-developed but have that "hometown" feeling as opposed to the industrial maze of Denver itself and are, from my last trip there, the safest areas of the city crime-wise. I actually don't know of a specific area that's gay-centric since I wasn't really out at the time, but I've think it might have been the Capitol Hill area in the center of town if there was a gay neighborhood. I hope that helps a little!

7. justcallmejoey

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I haven't actually been there. But a lot of people I know have been there and said it's great. Liberal is definently a plus!!! :icon_bigg Nothing has to be in the middle of a big gay area and that really doesn't matter a whole lot.

Actually you helped a lot thanks so much!