1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time being harrased, or am I just being paranoid?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Katelynn, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Katelynn

So I went to an outdoor concert last night & was even at the front of the stage as I normally like to be. Everything was fine until the headlining band came on. Then everything got extremely uncomfortable & frightening. I had to leave the front row after about 5 songs when the main band came on. I kept being harassed by these 3 guys (probably thought I was just really effemintaly gay, but still no excuse) who kept standing around behind me & basically giving me a hard time. One even started taking pictures of me on his phone, so I put my hair back up in a ponytail. They still kept bugging me, so I went & stood with my friends further back (I ran into them down there & we hung out, but they aren't as in to being front row as I am & I'm not out to them yet). These 3 guys tried bugging me while I was standing next to my friend Steve (big biker type guy) & Steve basically scared em off. Krista was cool too, she even said after these guys started making fun of our friend Garth (he'd had some beers & was dancing & having fun) not to let anyone intimidate me, but still it was hard & I was a bit scared all night after that. My friends even walked me partway back to my car & we're hanging out again tonite to see the bands playing. Keep in mind I was in like 'guy mode' all nite when this happened. I think if & when I come out to them, they should be OK, but it won't be for a while...

I guess I might just be overly sensitive since just having come out to one of my friends & my mum, but am I really just making something out of nothing or what? I am actually still a bit scared to go out tonite because of what happened last nite. I feel like I'm going crazy here... :bang::help:

2. LovexGinger

Hey!!

Well, I wanna get a picture of this. You say you were in guy mode? What is guy mode exactly as a transexual?

In my mind it seems that you were dressed as a boy and hanging out with your friends (who don't know youre a MtF transsexual) at a concert.

Now, the three guys might have been bugging you because of how you acted, which I'm guessing was girly right? If that's the case then they're just thick headed idiots with narrow minded views and you shouldn't pay any attention to them.

Us transsexuals are the least understood type of the LGBT community ity so it's bound to happen. But I can't really get a good mental picture of the situation right now. :/

But, if you don't look feminine or weren't acting girly (you just have long hair) then these three were just drunk party people who weren't exactly in the right of mind (no excuse but still) and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But like I said, we are bound to be picked on because we are different.

In regards to being afraid of going out tonight, don't be! Yeah there's always a risk but have fun with your friends, enjoy life and just hang out. Screw what the others have to say cause they don't know you.

Good luck sister and lots of love!

Ian
    (*hug*)

3. Katelynn

Thanks. No, I just have really long hair & since I finally accepted myself I've removed all of my facial hair as well, so I can look kind of feminine still without trying to. If you see one of my pics, just try & picture my with the hair up or down & I'm still going to look a bit girly in the face. As for clothes, just a guy's tee & guy's jeans & I wasn't acting girly at all, which is why I was surprised & a little afraid when it happened. I was just standing around at the front, watching the band & singing (hell, I wasn't even smiling because it alwasy seems when I see guys at these things, they never smile unless they're insanely drunk!). When they started trying to talk to me and taking pictures of me is when I got the hell out of there & found my friends a little further back. I just couldn't enjoy the rest of the night either, as I kept keeping track of where they were in relation to me for the rest of the night in case I needed to move again & take off running or something (I honestly didn't know if I'd need to either)... Just turned a pretty good night up till that point into a total crapfest for me. I'm just glad I ran into my friends & that we are all going tonite again, but I'm still a little freaked to go back there again tonite...

4. LovexGinger

Hey

well from seeing your pictures I have to say that they were most likely just piss drunk and making fun of what they saw as a guy with long hair. Nothing to get so worried about. :slight_smile:

so tonight go out and partay!! :grin:

lots of love

Ian