1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

guy-girl friendship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by armisteadkunkel, Jul 23, 2011.

1. armisteadkunkel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hi

the last time i saw my female best friend in person, she told me how glad she is to have me as her best male friend, and how rare it is to have such a relationship with a guy, without him being gay or the situation being ambiguous at times.

i know this was the perfect occasion to come out to her, but it was 6 months ago, in february, and at the time i wasn't even out to myself
    i just came back from university abroad, and now that i'm pretty ok with my sexuality (thought it's still in progress) i want to tell her and talk about it with her
    but i don't really know how she could react, could she feel kinda betrayed ? like it will change, cause she used to talk about guys, me about girls...

i'm 22 and i've known her since we were 2

#1 armisteadkunkel, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. DoriaN

To put it bluntly, if she's a real friend she'll accept you, if she isn't then you're likely better off.

Easier said than done. =\

3. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

hmm i have to agree with the person above- just rip the band-aid off, my friend. :slight_smile:

4. DoriaN

If you know in your heart she's a good friend then I myself have no doubt it'll be fine, unless of course she has some predjudice to gays and the like. If not then you should be golden.

5. LovexGinger

I agree with everyone here. Just tell her. Girls are very acceptin people so there's no fear and if she's your best friend then she'll still love you. :grin:

In the end that's all that matters.

6. armisteadkunkel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thank you 2 for your advice, i know the thing to do right now is to tell, i just wanna be honest and myself to my friends
    the thing is, i really don't think she meant she was happy with me not being gay, she was just saying our relationship is very cool, and a little special
    i do believe in guy-girl friendship, even if i wasn't gay i'd do, but i know guys (both straight or gay) and girls for whom it is just impossible to have a real sincere friendship with someone of the other sex without being somehow ambiguous

i don't think it will happen, but actually i fear that she could consider me as her "gay friend", the one every girl dreams of, to go shopping and gossip... but i'm not the type. i think things will remain the same (pretty certain actually, but you can never tell) but this is the part i'm scared of

has anyone experienced this kind of change of behavior from friends after coming out ?