1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ugh

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by redstormrising, Jul 24, 2011.

1. redstormrising

A few days ago I told my immediate family (mom, dad, and sister) that I'm confused about my sexuality. I'm not sure what I am, but I am pretty well sure I'm not just straight. My dad is quite conservative and I always thought he was homophobic, but much to my surprise, he actually seemed to take it ok. he assured me that he loves me whether i like boys, girls, or both.

But then today, I was talking to my dad about Bloomberg's two aides who just got married, and he said he saw a news piece on them, that they have two daughters together, and that he was happy to see they have daughters and not sons. I was confused, and then he asked me if I knew what NAMBLA was, and basically insinuated that if they had sons and not daughters, he would think it was because they were molesting them. I pointed out that he himself had wanted a son, and did that mean he wanted the son to molest him? And then he started defending the practice of using therapy to try to make people straight, saying that if people could say they were just born gay, then murderers could say that they were just born with violent propensities. How is that anywhere near the same?!

Sorry, I guess I just needed to vent. Dad and i do not see eye to eye (or anywhere close to it) on a great many subjects, so I don't know why this would be any different . . . but it really hurt to hear him say those things, especially while i am still trying to figure out and come to terms with . . . well, whatever i am.

2. Fiddledeedee

You are so, so brave to come out before you are even sure about your sexuality. :eusa_clap

As for your dad, there are many studies that prove therapy can be incredibly harmful; there might be some links from Wikipedia to them. I just don't know what to say about what he said about molestation. :frowning2: :confused:

3. feelindown

feelindown Guest

i dont know what to say to this. basically he loves you but it doesn't sound like he wants you to be gay and is trying to calmly transition you back into straightness or influence your stance to bring you back to what he feels would be good for you. although he is doing it out of love for you, the message is quite confusing and disheartening for someone that is also confused about their sexuality. my advice is not to listen to your dad's comments or to engage him into any dialogue regarding your sexuality at this time. yes, he knows you are confused, but right now, just figure yourself out and deal with that. bringing him into the mix with his homophobia is going to do you more harm and slow down your process of understanding what road you want to take

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Girls can also be molested.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please tell your Dad also that about 90-95% of all molestation cases reported are by heterosexual men not homos and that the majority of the gay community believe NAMBLA are a bunch of sick f**ks who deserve to rot in prison for the rest of their days...or maybe that's just me...the prison part I mean :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Shmoe

You should also bring up that murdering people and loving them are two very different things. Guess your dad just needs some time to smarten up.