1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Srasrodriguez, Jul 24, 2011.

1. I've been in a long distance relationship for the last year with a guy who has habits I said would be deal breakers (smoking) but otherwise is an amazing person. This is the first relationship I've been in since 2005 and I have increasingly overwhelming feelings that I'd be happier with a woman.

I've always been attracted to girls, the first time I mentioned this to someone I was 16, but I find myself thinking am I really attracted to them or is it a result of childhood abuse? Then I just push the feeling down and ignore it for as long as possible. I seem to only be attracted to people after I get to know them (male or female). I don't walk down the street and check out either sex so it's not physical attraction that dictates my feelings.

I also get dismissive and slightly irritated when people talk about some girl they know coming out and being happier than they've ever been. On some level I want to be a lesbian, I want to be with a girl. I don't have that fear or dislike of homosexuality. There's no stress of disappointing anyone, it's all about me. I find it easier to get along with guys because I don't care what they think so I don't get anxious like I do when I first meet women. Even though I get along with guys better at first I form stronger bonds with girls and I prefer living with them and having them involved in my life.

Problem is I feel like I can never experiment with this because of my health status and also if I tell bf how I'm feeling it's going to affect him and our relationship. I have hooked up with girls in the past and I was in a 'relationship' short term with a girl who turned out to be straight and using me to get guys. I also spent a lot of time with a very out, extremely aware of herself lesbian several years ago and she scared the shit out of me. I think her confidence and drive to have me was overwhelming at the time when I was so confused about myself. Anyone determined to have me scares me a little so it might not have been her gender but more her approach.

I don't know what to do and I don't know how to figure this out.