1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

friend help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Hi, I live in middle of nowhere Michigan. I go to a teeny tiny school (the graduating class is usually under 75) and my friends are all anti-gay and believe that "god made adam and eve not adam and steve" and i just can't take them saying bad stuff about gays anymore because i think to my self that they are talking about me but they just don't know yet. i need some advice because i don't want them to hate me because almost everyone in the school is like that and if i told them about being gay and they reject me i will be all alone. so can some one help me. :help:

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well when they start talking anti-gay stuff, just say something that gives them some education. Do you know anybody gay outside your school? Maybe you could use them as an example.

3. Midget

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've gone through this for a while. I managed to last three years before I finally came out, but I tried to work for less homophobia before that. Whenever I heard those comments, I'd just tell them to stop it. Sometimes it took some force, but I did whatever I could to just silence it. They didn't suspect it, mainly because I'm also the same way about racial slurs and other insults. I also had some gay teachers, which certainly helped in cutting down the insults, but I'm guessing you're far from having that luxury.

4. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who is gay outside of my school, also i am afraid i will be laughed at about it, i have really bad rejection issues.

5. CrimsonThunder

Tell your so called know-it-all "friends" that God actually made Adam and Lilith, not Adam and Eve. They'll be all like "Whaaat?" and that'll shut them up. :slight_smile:

Anyways, if you wanna have a chat to me on msn just send me a PM. I'm usually not busy and always willing to help people out with their probs. :thumbsup:

6. Rette

Of course it's not Adam and Steve...it's Adam and Stephen! What gay man in his right mind would call himself "Steve"!?

(okay, I know that's just playing off stereotypes, but I always thought that was most clever response I've heard to that)

7. CrimsonThunder

Mine was more smarter and religiously correct. o_o

Fine, I'll settle at a draw.

8. xequar

Ah, the joys of small towns in the middle of nowhere in Michigan. Believe me, I know all about it. I grew up in Michigan's Thumb in the middle of firmly conservative protestant farm country.

If your school is anything like mine was, coming out (as much as I genuinely hate to say this) might make things that much harder. I remember in my school that the couple of people who kinda seemed gay got mercilessly harassed. Luckily, I was able to grow a beard in high school, so no one ever suspected me.

Presuming you're not planning to come out yet, if you can, grow a beard or facial hair and try to keep up with sports. It doesn't terribly matter if you are interested or not, but at least knowing how the Red Wings or Pistons did can go miles. A beard makes you look "manly" and people in high school are far less likely to mess with someone with a full beard. Beyond that, the only other thing I can really recommend is just sort of "grin and bear it" and bust your ass so that you can graduate and MOVE AWAY for college.

Good luck, and if you need anything, pm me.

9. l0stinthsw0rld

Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say that if they can not except you for who you are then they are not your friends but i too delt with people who are homophobic and it hurts and i was alienated from almost everyone in this school i used to go to and so we moved! they kept harrassing me at school to the point that i convinced my family to move! i said :***: you all the last day i was there and they all just looked at me with their eyes like quarters it was funny!!!!! LOL!!!!

10. sdc91

Come out in college if it seems that bad. I know that seems a long time away, but it won't be detrimental to you for the next 2 and a half years (I'm assuming you're a sophomore because your sn has 92 in it).

And when your friends go to college, maybe their minds will open up, too.