1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay and joining the military?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Black Rabbit, Jul 24, 2011.

1. The Black Rabbit

I just recently came to terms with my sexuality, and for the longest time it has been my biggest desire to serve in the military, so I took the step and signed my contract with the US Marine Corp. Now that I am sure of who I am, I'm worried about being in the military, even though Don't Ask, Don't Tell is "no longer a problem". I know it's not the business of the other Marines, but them finding out could still put me in a...well I don't know what kind of position it could put me in. But, all the same, I'm worried about hate and/or trust issues. The whole purpose Don't Ask, Don't Tell supporters say the bill was about was trust, trust in your fellow soldier/sailor that he/she can do the job entrusted to them, to watch each others' back. I understand that other may still have worries/misconceptions about openly LGBT people. It's that which worries me. That others misconceptions could ruin the trust relationship that absolutely needs to exist between those fighting side-by-side.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I'm kind of at a loss here...:dry:

2. Hot Pink

I think that's it's great that you have the courage to serve your country. Also, I think you should focus on doing your duty. If you're worried about what others might think, say, or do to you, then you already don't trust them. That's your problem, though, and not theirs.

3. The Black Rabbit

hmmm, y,know, that thought never crossed my mind. I guess I already do worry too much about what others think. I'm so concerned about the others trusting me I already lost trust in them. Thank you Hot Pink!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing I've heard from everyone in the military is, when an order comes down, it is followed, no matter what. Even the Marines, who were the least accepting of the decision to allow LGBT people to serve openly, have said they will ensure the orders are followed. I don't think you'll have a problem.

5. No One

I'm joining the military, though I have never feared what others think past DADT.

6. Jay

Jay

What people need to understand--people including straight marines and military personnel--is that the love to your country and will to serve should ALWAYS come first, and should always outshine whatever prejudice or hate that you're keeping in your heart.

At the end, if you're really going to serve your country but hate a bunch of it's citizens then it really doesn't make much sense.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing I kind of always didn't like about putting DADT through getting repealed was all this "people should serve openly" and don't get me wrong, I like living openly. But at the same time, being gay shouldn't have anything to do with your job. I mean yes DADT was important to get repealed because now if you do choose to disclose your sexuality either during registration or after, you can't be discharged for it. However same time, while I know being in the army has a much higher sense of heightened brotherhood than say...working at a McDonald's lol, you still shouldn't have to feel the need to tell. I mean if you want to tell, then by all means, go for it. But otherwise don't tell unless someone asks you, that way you weren't lying to them nor breaking their trust, and you also then don't have to worry so much about how people will see you if you just came out of the closet singing "Don't Rain on My Parade" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Gordon

I wouldn't put too much worry into this, there maybe some homophobic people there but your orientation is the least of their concerns when your in the army.

9. Tracy Lord

I think some people have a too-rosy picture of how all this is likely to play out. I read a study recently (from UCLA, IIRC) about how gays serving in militaries around the world has actually worked.

For the most part, gays "take the temperature" of the unit they go to before deciding whether to out themselves or not. Some commanders are more tolerant and open, some less.

And for God's sake, please do not go to Marine boot camp and just announce to everyone that you're gay. Basic training (in the Army and Marines, anyway) is a high stress environment and it's designed to be. So people get into fights over the stupidest things. Not to mention the fact that, God bless them, but this isn't the most enlightened group of guys on the planet. And your drill instructor's whole job is to break you down and build you into a Marine. That involves a lot of verbal abuse. The whole premise is to tell you to do things they know you can't do, then punish you when you don't do them. So the more you keep your head down and just work your ass off, knowing that it's temporary, the better off you're going to be.

You are not likely going to have the time or energy to play with yourself, much less anyone else, so if you want my free advice, focus on your training and nothing else. There are going to be times where you are going to think you can't go on. The only thing that's going to get you through is your desire to get that eagle, globe and anchor.

So, if you want to be a Marine, forget about everything else in life, including your sexuality, and focus on doing whatever you have to to prepare for successfully completing that 13 weeks.

---------- Post added 25th Jul 2011 at 12:03 PM ----------

PS, if it sounds like I'm trying to scare you...I am! You are about to do the hardest thing you have done in your life so far, something the vast majority of this country's citizens couldn't do even if they wanted to. You better be running til you puke every other day of the week and working out HARD on the other days. The recruiter's job is to appeal to your patriotism, etc, and that's fine. You wouldn't be doing it otherwise. But there is a reality to what you're about to go through. If you want to talk about it more, please feel free to PM me. I've gotten a number of guys mentally and physically prepared to go to basic training.

10. Hot Pink

I get the feeling that some people thought that ending DADT would mean that all of the homosexuals in the military would suddenly become flamboyant about it. There are some people who can't wrap their heads around the possibility that the majority of homosexual people are just like everyone else--except they sleep with the same sex.

At the same time, hiding who you are and where you come from should not be considered acceptable when everyone else can do it. If DADT applied to everyone, it would be a different story. Both straight and gay people were not allowed to say who they are dating, what sex their partner is, and what they do in their spare time, but that's not what DADT was. It singled people out. Not only that, but it fueled witch hunts within the military. These people would not tell anyone inside of the military what they were doing in their free time, but if someone was suspected of being gay, there was an investigation and then a trial. The trial was basically all speculative evidence, so it's virtually impossible to defend yourself. Both straight and gay people were discharged because of DADT, due to suspicions of homosexual conduct.

DADT needed to be removed because it was distracting soldiers and officers alike from doing their real jobs. Soldiers should be able to serve without always having to fear of their own unit or officer going to the wrong people and saying they're a "witch."

11. s5m1

I have many gay friends who are currently serving, or who did serve, in the US military. All of them, without exception, speak very highly about being in the military. You will also find that there are a lot of gays in the military.

As others have said, don't dwell on it. Just be yourself, do your job and you will be fine.

12. Adam

There are a lot of redneck homophobic idiots in the Marines though, I have met and heard some say some mean stuff.

But most of them probably wouldn't care.

13. CharmanderGato

Alabama (a very closed-minded, bigoted town)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As you said, there are always the homophobes to worry about, but most people will probably accept you, and why should you let the fears prevent you from following your dream? ^u^

Just go for it. I mean, it could be bad, but you'll never know unless you try it. And even if they are mean at first, maybe they'll adjust to it. I mean, everything, even bullying, gets old after a while, right? :slight_smile:

hope this helped! ^u^

Besides, haters are gonna hate, no matter what, right? Just don't let it bother you, and you will be just fine. :icon_wink

OH, and congrats on figuring out what your orientation is! :thumbsup: I'm still working on figuring out mine, but I'm only 16, so i guess I have a while... :slight_smile: Sorry, that was off topic... :eusa_doh:

14. The Black Rabbit

Thank you all for your generous support, congrats and advice. I've been going over this in my head for near a year now, and it's brought me a lot of unnecessary stress. The whole "best case/worst case" scenario hasn't left my mind; either I'll be strung up on the nearest tree, or make new best friends. I think it's living where I do now. It's so close-minded around here, and the prospect of entering into something that banned openly gay people not too long ago...I suppose made being gay and serving a little scary for me. I mean, it's already scary living around a lot of people who outright despise the LGBT community, but in my head, being in a service that banned openly gay members was more scary than what someone in that service might experience (i.e. combat). But your advice has helped that. If I cannot perform my duty without worrying about what the others feel or think about me, then how can I perform that duty properly? And if I cannot do my duty to the best of my ability, then why should I serve in the first place? It's that...I'm worried about the close-mindedness of others, when I'm being just as prejudiced as they are.

I suppose I can say I have not fully come to terms with my sexuality, seeing as I'm too scared about it to do what my dream is. I know I'm gay, but I'm still not sure I like it so much...

Anyway, that fact aside, thank you again to all of you for your kind words and your great support! With your help I have definitely taken steps toward better logic and reasoning with myself. I can be a hard person to argue with, especially when the argument is with myself.

p.s. @Tracy Lord. Thank you! I may just take you up on that offer, still a little worried but I'm doing much better...I think.

p.s.s. @CharmanderGato. Thanks! And it's okay, off topic is second nature for me anyway. Also, good luck figuring out your orientation as well!