1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any thoughts??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FloatingPiano, Jul 25, 2011.

1. FloatingPiano

Hello, so, I'm considering the idea of coming out to my parents soon, and wanted your thoughts on an issue that will mostly likely come up.

Anytime I even hint to them that I'm lesbian/questioning my sexuality, they immediately shake it off as a phase, and that I'm doing it to fit in better with my friends. I have quite a few friends that are LGBT, but their sexuality has nothing to do with mine. I just don't know how I'm going to be able to get them to understand that...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :grin: Thanks.

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    persistence, denial is a very natural reaction, just wait and eventually they will come to terms, well, more than likely they'll accept it over time, maybe weeks, months, years, that part I couldn't say, best of luck

3. IanGallagher

I don't suggest doing what I did lol, but it was a really tense moment. I told my dad it wasn't something recent and that I liked it when the high school quarterback took off his shirt and somewhat flirted with me. That about made sure he knew I'm 100% bi.

4. Raeil

This. 100% this. Parents have their own ideas of what their children are, and coming out (generally) shatters that image. It's much easier, at the moment, for your mother to believe that it's just a phase, or that you're choosing this in order to fit in with your LGBT friends. Really, there's not a lot you can do about it. Be patient with them, if they continue to think your sexuality is short-term. Over time, they should come to accept that you are who you are, no matter who you date or marry. If they don't though, will it really be a huge problem? As long as your parents aren't constantly trying to make you straight, or implying that you're letting a phase get to you, won't your relationship with them still be one of child to parent? I guess all I'm trying to say is, they might have issues, but they should get over them; if they don't, though, love them anyway, and stay in touch (unless they do stupid stuff like setting you up on blind dates with boys).

5. KaotikPrincess

I think that them shaking it off like it's just a phase could be a good sign more than bad. It could be a sign that they don't really care about it enough to make it a big deal. I think you should be yourself and don't be afraid to bring a girl home and call her your girlfriend, your parents might think it's weird at first but they will have to get over it eventually... hopefully your parents are like mine who love you no matter what. Good luck!

6. FloatingPiano

Thank you for the great support, guys!! All of your advice is really great, and I feel a little better about coming out to them soon. I agree that I will just have to let them come to terms with it and that it's not just a phase. Thanks again guys. :grin:

7. You might want to print off some PFLAG stuff. Make it look like you're serious and you've done some research for them. Sitting them down and making it all really organized and informational will make it hard for them to say you're just having a phase or trying to fit in with your friends. Make it serious business and then it will be.

Good luck :slight_smile:

8. FloatingPiano

That's a really good idea!! I don't don't know why I didn't think of that before!! :grin: I'm definitely going to to do that. They would definitely take me a lot more seriously. Thanks for the great advice!!:thumbsup: