1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out at school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aceofnoise23, Jul 25, 2011.

1. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay some quick background information to people who don't know me:

15. Kinsey 6/5. Sophomore. Out to all those important, minus my father (but he'll know by the end of summer). Goes to a catholic all-guys school. Homosexuals rabout 1/16 of the student body (we have a killer music program). Not much hate for gays here among the students, from what I've learned.

So like I sorta want to be completely out and open about my sexuality this year. I definitely won't be telling anyone, but I don't want my friends to tell others. I want them to know and not question me, but I don't want to shove my sexuality in their faces... so like how do I go about being open about my sexuality without "flaunting it"? Any help is appreciated.

2. Meropspusillus

Just be yourself. Don't worry about "acting gay" or anything like that. Sure, some people who don't know you might not think you're gay at first sight, and you may have to tell some people, but I think you'll be happiest if you just act how you would act just as, you know, you.

If that's outgoing and flamboyant, go for it. If it's a little more reserved, go for it too.

All it takes for you to "be open about your sexuality" is to now worry who knows that you like boys.

3. Just pretend like everyone knows. That's what I did. I wasn't out to anyone at school and so I just pretended like they all knew. And then everyone did know.

So, if someone is talking about a movie with a hot male actor in it, maybe say he's hot instead of keeping that info in, etc. Small unobtrusive comments make everyone aware of what's up without making it a big deal.

Also, rainbow bracelet? It's subtle, but can be effective :slight_smile:

Good luck coming out at school! Your school seems like a nice place :slight_smile:

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

^^^^^^

This.

5. CharmanderGato

Alabama (a very closed-minded, bigoted town)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm with kidd and the dreamcatcher. That is perfect advice. PERFECT, I tell you.

And good luck! :slight_smile:

6. Raeil

Definitely go with the rainbow bracelet, lol. You might end up having to tell people, if they ask whether you're gay or just support gay rights, but from the sounds of your school, most people will know what it means.

Also, it's what I'm using for anyone who's not a Facebook friend, so I'm hoping it works rather well.

7. zooper1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey seems like we have the same problem, except I don't know any other gays or bis, pm me if maybe you wanna talk!

8. iamnotemo

iamnotemo Guest

It's not reallyy a specific way to come out. Some people may ask and you can tell them from there or you can also get your rainbow t-shirt. That's what's up! (ohh i'm so ratchet)

9. Ianthe

Pretending everyone knows works pretty well usually.

Don't have your friends go around telling everyone, but let them know it isn't a secret anymore--if someone asks, they don't have to lie or evade the question. Because when you start pretending everyone knows, people will start figuring it out. And then they will ask you, or in many cases, they will ask your friends. (Not everyone will ask, but some people are likely to ask.)

"Pretending like everyone knows" is basically acting like it's common knowledge. It isn't really that everyone literally knows, it's more that anyone could know, and it's information you can feel free to refer to openly.

Also, don't be concerned if people accuse you of "flaunting it." Some straight people think that if they can discern that you are gay without you telling them, then you must be flaunting it. It's completely unreasonable. Holding hands, for example, is frequently cited as "flaunting it," or even, "rubbing it in people's faces."

Straight people display their sexuality all the time. 12-year old girls do their homework in spiral notebooks with Justin Bieber on them, and they draw little hearts around his face. This is considered completely acceptable for them, but if you did the EXACT SAME THING people would call it "flaunting your sexuality."

We should be allowed to express our sexuality just as openly and freely as straight people, without being told that we are shoving it in people's faces.