1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting People Online

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nkid211, Jul 25, 2011.

1. nkid211

nkid211 Guest

Hi. So I'm 15 years old and I'm out to only my two closest friends who took it great and are both extremely supportive. Anyone looking at me from the outside who doesn't know that I'm gay would think that my life is perfect and I'm completely put together, but that's not exactly true. Although I have amazing friends who are very supportive of me and a great family who I know will accept me when I come out to them, I still somehow feel alone sometimes. Sure I can talk to my friends who I'm out to about being gay, but they don't understand everything because they're both straight. A couple weeks ago I was on a cam site (Please don't ask what I was doing there. I was fully clothed the whole time I swear!:lol:slight_smile: and I met this really cute guy who's a few years older than me. We started talking and have been skyping ever since. We're just friends and relate to each other and he makes me feel comfortable and hopeful that someday I'll meet someone. My question though is: Is it bad to feel the need for this kind of support online? I know meeting people online is dangerous, but I've seen this guy on skype and it's not like I give out any personal info. And also, where else online can I meet people like this that are around my age and are in a similar position to me who I can chat with and relate to and support (And skype with cuz I like video hahaha)? Plus, this cam site can be scary so I need to meet people somewhere else. Thanks. I know this was long.

2. VentinIntrovert

I never though you could be under 18 on cam sites. He may potentially "be grooming you", until you are comfortable enough to take off your clothes. This is ILLEGAL. If you need support, just stick with empty closets. It's hard to tell other people's intentions through the internet even if you can see them.

3. aerwolfen

personally at 15 is alittle young to meet people online,its my opinion,there i'm sure are people out there with other young adults pictures playing the part to lure young adults out,then meet secretly abuse them and who are you going to tell without outing yourself to the rest of the community,play it safe,stick to your own community in meeting guys your own age,schools gay communities and such,but be very aware of the predators that are out there,just my opinion.

4. jrnewton2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not too worried. From the sound of it, you've got enough common sense to not go out meeting strangers in dark alleys, right?

5. nkid211

nkid211 Guest

I feel really stupid now. Is there a way to delete this thread I made? I am really embarrassed and sad. I appreciate the quick responses and will immediately stop chatting with this guy and stop visiting these sites. Thanks.

6. jrnewton2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You shouldn't feel stupid!! I would never recommend that you go trolling the interwebs for people, but personally I've met and maintained friendly relationships with people completely online. And they are some of my favorite people to talk to. As long as you don't do anything stupid, such as meeting them in a dark alley or telling them where you live in the first chat, I wouldn't fret about it too much.

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2011 at 12:52 AM ----------

Though, a cam site does not sound like the ideal place for such meetings, to be honest. I dunno, just be smart about it and you'll be fine.

#6 jrnewton2, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
  7. IanGallagher

I'd say it's a college and beyond thing. Had a couple dates with girls that way and one with a guy. None ever really developed though. Currently got my sights on a bi girl met online.

8. Mogget

We've had a few instances on this thread of people naming sites that are restricted to 18+. That's a violation of EC rules, so no more, please.