1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

telling people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thatkiidsean, Jul 27, 2011.

1. thatkiidsean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hey guys I am thinking of telling people that I am gay and one of the ways I plan on doing that Is on facebook. I plan on writing one of those note letter things but I dont know what to say in it :frowning2: does any one have any good ideas?

---------- Post added 27th Jul 2011 at 10:41 PM ----------

any help will be greatly appreciated :frowning2:

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I don't know the kinds of friends you have, so it's hard for me to give specific advice for that reason, but my experience is that when people aren't sure how to react to something (which is not an uncommon phenomenon when someone comes out), they'll take their cue on how to react from you. As such, if you treat it like it's a serious, consequential matter, so will they, but if you mention it casually and don't make a big deal out of it, there's a good chance they will also not make a big deal out of it. For that reason, I wouldn't say a note is the best way to come out, because that particular feature tends to be reserved for serious matters, and if you want people to think of you being gay as no-big-deal, that might have the opposite effect.

If you have a lot of thoughts to get out when you do come out, then a note would indeed be a good idea, because it would give you the space to do that. However, from the looks of what you wrote, it seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that you don't have a lot of thoughts to get out when you do come out, or else you'd have more of an idea of what to write. For that reason, if you want people to not get too worked up about you coming out, I'd say you could just post a status update about it, something along the lines of, "I figure this is the most efficient way of getting this info out. I'm gay, and I'm tired of hiding it, so now, I don't have to! :slight_smile:" You can write it however you want to fit your current circumstances and the kinds of friends you have, but that can give you something to start with if you need it.

3. thatkiidsean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. KaotikPrincess

I think you should just straight out say it in your status, say "I'm gay and proud of it, if anyone has a problem with that delete me from your friends list!"... and then change your status to "Gay"... that's what I would do, sounds like a pretty upfront and bold move and people might respect that!... and, you will find out who your true friends are! (*hug*)