1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Plan Any Advice??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BradThePug, Jul 27, 2011.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I'm getting ready to go to college this fall and want to come out to my mother before I leave. So this weekend I have to go to campus for my band pre camp. The ride to my college is 2 hours. I plan on telling her then because I have to stay in a hotel for two days.

I was just wondering if this was a good plan or if it would be a bad idea?? Also, what would be the best way to bring it up in a conversation??

2. Katelynn

It may not be the best idea to tell her right before you leave, as she might feel that she's had this sort of dumped on her & then just left to deal with it herself. Two days is a long time, I think, for a parent to deal with any major news about their child. It might be better to maybe give her a little more time to process the information, or even wait until after you get back, so she doesn't possibly feel like she's been ambushed with this information. Of course, you know your mom better than anyone does, so it's really a matter of how you think she'll deal with you coming out to her, if she'll handle it well, then just tell her, but if you think she'll have a bit of a struggle with it, then you may want to give both her & you some more time to talk about things...

No matter what you decide, good luck & everyone here on EC is here for you! (*hug*)

3. theWorldisYours

I think Kiersten has some good advice. I agree that it depends mostly on how you think she'll take it. It wouldn't be a good idea if this is going to be world altering news for her.

4. Mogget

I agree, telling and immediately leaving feels safer, but it's really hurtful to the person you're doing it to. It also isn't ultimately any safer, as you'll not only have to deal with the ramifications of coming out, but also the ramifications of having dumped and ran.

5. acd92

I would definitely agree with everything said here- maybe you should wait until you can come home for an extended break and make sure that you're there for any complications that may arise, and just so you can talk through everything and be there as things unravel. As Liam said, dropping and running usually is never a good idea.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I think that I might tell her tomorrow so that we can have some time to talk about it before I leave. I leave on Saturday, so I think that that will give her enough time.

7. slowly

Good luck thecat06! You're taking an awesome step in the right direction!

8. paper person

Best wishes and luck. Hope it all goes well

9. feelindown

feelindown Guest

i'm not sure i would tell my mom during a 2 hour ride on the highway where i'm stuck with her if she doesn't react well. that would be awkward. but if you feel comfortable go for it.