1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What now?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by paper person, Jul 30, 2011.

1. paper person

After years of recognizing it and ignoring it, to the past two weeks of significant struggle with my self, i can finally say somthing that i thought id never be able to. I'm Bisxual and you know what i have not changed one bit and if i have its for the better and made me a more open person.
    But now what?
    I am fianlly ok with my sexual idenity, not great but not horrible like the weeks ive had with no sleep, it feel like i am slighlty less burdened than i have been, still burdened mind you just not crushed. I kinda wanna run around and tell every one but now that i know i feel i have to be more cautious than ever to keep it a secret. I know it is only a small part of who i am but at the same time it feels like the biggest thing in the world. Do i tell people, or do i stay in the closet just a little longer. I dont wan tto ruin any of my freindships. If i do, do a make it a serious topic or bring it up as casual as the weather. I feel like a care more about having a realtionship but have no knowlage about how to go about doing that girl or guy( guy obviosly being ten tiems more difficult).

So ive found my new identity and recognize myself as bi, im not super happy about it but ill live. But know i have all theses new feelings so i ask you guys,
    What do i do now???:confused2:

2. Well, you have some options here, and the decisions really are up to you, but let's see what you've got.

You're well on you're way to accepting yourself. And that is awesome. Right now you might just feel resigned to the truth of your sexuality, but in time that can change to a way better feeling about it. I think it's a great sign that you feel like running around and telling everyone.

Coming out is hard and deciding when to come out is sometimes even harder. I totally get what you're saying that it's just a small part of who you are, but it seems so much bigger than that. Only you can know when you're feeling ready to tell people, and coming out in your own time is important. Maybe try telling a close friend? I doubt that this will ruin a bunch of your relationships, you're right, not everyone will accept you, but I think you'd be surprised how many people step up and have your back in this.

Again, it's up to you as to when, but it's also up to you as to how. Lots of people come out in person, but some people feel more comfortable writing letters or emails to their friends and family. You can bring it up casually if that's what feels right or you can have a serious talk about it. Some of your loved ones might want to ask you questions about this, so be prepared to answer them. Other than that, not much else to tell you other than congrats on coming this far and good luck :slight_smile: (*hug*)

3. Katelynn

My advice is to just take a deep breath first. You've already taken a huge step & accepted yourself, so be proud of that! I know it was an extremely hard thing for you because it was for me as well. I still have the urge to tell everyone I know now, but I'm also trying to be cautious about it too. It's like you've said, you're still the same person you were before, but being careful is still needed as some people you tell will need a little time first before they realize that. When I finally decided to come out to someone, I chose my one friend because she has always been an open-winded person and trusted me enough to introduce me to her girlfriend (she is bisexual and very open about it), so I felt that she was someone I could trust. The important thing to do is go at your own pace & what's comfortable for you. Choose a friend or family member that you feel will be supportive for you no matter what you tell them and then start there. Sometimes things will be hard, but if you start with that one person to have supporting you, then you have someone you can talk to through the hard times. I'm glad I chose to come out to my friend, as she introduced me to one of her friends and we became great friends instantly, plus I was out to her immediately too! I didn't expect things to work out like that, but they did, so you never know! Just don't put yourself under too much stress and make yourself sick over this, it will just make things worse and even harder for you I think...