1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to exes

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by starlightonmars, Jul 31, 2011.

1. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few years ago when I was still figuring stuff out, I dated a few girls in my friendship group. Needless to say nothing really happened and we broke up, and now I'm good friends with them again. The only problem is that I want to come out, but I don't want to hurt their feelings by them thinking I was using them or anything. It's slightly more difficult because I'm moving to their school where I guess people will know we dated and I don't want things to get awkward.

Does anyone have any tips? Is anyone in a similar situation? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're 16. You dated them "a few years ago". I doubt anybody is going to think weirdly about somebody dating girls at age 13-14, and then realizing he's gay later. Including exes. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Lex's got it right. And you said nothing happened and you broke up. If you guys are cool enough now to be good friends I'm surely will be just fine. I had a similar situation with a guy I dated briefly, and he playfully teased me about it just a little and we laughed and then it was all cool. :slight_smile:

4. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went out with a girl this year, and came out to her, and she was like "okay cool". You're fine. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If you dated briefly and a couple years back, it shouldn't really matter when you come out to them.

5. gaius

gaius Guest

I went out with a girl for 2 years before coming out a year after we broke up, she is still one of my best friends. I think being your age people wouldn't be too surprised, I mean, there are people who come out when they have been married for years and even then people are often, if not at first, then later met with acceptance.

6. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you :slight_smile: I know at least one of them would be completely cool about it, but one has kind of joined in with the guys in my friendship group when they say crappy stuff. I don't really view her as a friend but it's a bit difficult when we're all friends to stop being friends/ hanging out with them. Nobody comments when one of the guys regularly makes homophobic comments to my face (he's also the worst of the guys at school) but I can't get out of the group because all my good friends are there too. I guess I'll just have to wait until uni or college when I can make new friends. It still sucks though!

7. Blakers19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I fully agree with Lex. I was 13 when I dated one of my best friends now, and I was 15 when I came out to her. She was totally okay with it. She admitted that she really did like me, but that she also understood how awful it must have been to be in my situation and she didn't hold it against me at all. If your friends are as good as you make them out to seem, they should understand as well. Good luck :slight_smile:

8. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. turniptumbler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dated a WHOLE bunch of girls in grade school :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I told them last year (4-5 years later) That I am gay, and three out of four said they were bi or a lesbian now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And the other said that it's amazing! :slight_smile: There's nothing to worry about! :slight_smile: And if you do tell one of the girls, she could mabye tell that jerk to shut-up or at least stop :slight_smile:

10. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rip off the banadge; just do it