1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to seek a councillor/therapist?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DoriaN, Jul 31, 2011.

1. DoriaN

So my doctor hasn't been helpful at ALL and I don't know what to do...
    I want to pursue or atleast talk to someone about my gender issues and the possibility of HRT but idk how to find someone or to go about stuffs D:

Im super shy and anxious but im SO flustered... What can I do?

2. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

hmm i dunno- maybe type into google "therapists near my hometown" or somethin and i'm sure you'll find a site. and i know it's not as efficient, but i'm pretty sure some of the EC ppl r therapists...but don't quote me on that.

i hope this helped!! :slight_smile:

3. Mogget

Is therapy covered under Canadian healthcare? Because if so calling the local administrative office of the NHS should be able to give you some leads.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! My first question would be: are you in school? If so, maybe try visiting the school counselor. School counselors, like any counselors or therapists are bound by confidentiality/privacy laws, so it would be really any different than seeing a counselor outside of school. In fact, the school counselor could potentially refer you to other services in the community that might be quite helpful actually.

Also have a look at what kind of counseling/therapy health care covers in your province. If there is a cost associated with it, and if you don't have access to a school counselor, maybe try finding a Citizen Advocacy type group/centre which does include free access to counselors. You don't mention in which part of Canada you live, but some mid-size to larger cities have a group that provides free counseling sessions to people.

One of my friends actually volunteers at one such centres. If you would like, I could try making some inquires as to where you could find free access to counselors in your area.

Seeing a counselor/therapist can be a bit nerve wracking at first, but remember that counselors/therapists usually will do their best and try to help you. Whatever you tell him or her, you can be assured that it will always remain within the four walls of his or her office.

Hope this helps a bit.

5. Katelynn

I know for me, there are no LGBT services available in my area, the whole region is a problem. So I ended up Googling the word 'pschologist' and the name of my city & found a few. I got lucky in that I found only one therapist who has her own website & that it says right on the site she's worked with people in the LGBT community; I got unlucky when I called for some info & about fees & got her VM saying she wouldn't be back in her office until Oct 3rd, so I can't really start anything until Oct unfortunately...

6. DoriaN

Thanks, I guess I should have been more specific >_<
    I'm 22, not in school, and from Alberta.

Idk where to begin or how to go about things it really IS nerve wracking..

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Maybe try finding a free citizens' counseling office or centre. Maybe try finding some info over Google to start with. If you live in or close to Edmonton or Calgary you should be able to find something.

Failing that, here is a link to the Alberta Counselling Services, located in Calgary. They might be able to provide you with some information. They are operating on a sliding fee scale, which might help a bit. Not sure though if Alberta Health and Wellness will cover some of the costs. Maybe ask as to whether the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan covers any of the costs of seeing a counselor/therapist.

8. Remy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Perhaps you can try a local Youth Clinic. They provide counseling sessions and since they often deal with sexual health, you can probably find someone who deals with the LGBT community. Just google [your hometown] Youth Clinic and find one near you. The ones near me are free of charge up to age 24. Though it'll vary by place, it's a good place to start.

9. theWorldisYours

I'm from the U.S so I just asked for a list of local therapists covered by my health insurance. I know the health care system is different in Canada, but if money isn't a concern just do a google search or something.