1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any help with telling dad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aceofnoise23, Jul 31, 2011.

1. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I want to come out to my dad so I can be out to my family. But the thing is I have no idea how I can do that. I'm too nervous to tell him in person but I don't want to tell him digitally or something like that... can someone please give me advice as to what to do? Is anyone else in this situation?

2. Lebowski45

I understand, I agonised over how to tell my parents. I'm sure most people on here found it the same. But you have the will to do it, which is the main thing thing. You ARE going to be nervous, I'm afraid you can't really take the anxiety of doing it. Its a matter of overcoming it, which I'm sure you will do :slight_smile:

Personally, I told my mum first, and then very shortly afterwards told my dad in the presence of my mum (both were hard to tell, but I guess its harder trying to tell your dad if you're male). Now I don't know your situation, but if its possible maybe you could get your mom or your sister to be there with you and help you tell him? The fact that my mum was supportive and in the room with me helped me when I was telling my dad. It was reassurring I guess.

Alternatively, you could text him, or email, or get someone else to pass on a message, saying that you want to talk to him about something later in the day (or whenever). That way, he'd bring it up. He'd ask "there's something you wanted to tell me?" and it would give you an opening to tell him.....I found it easier telling people if they brought up something rather than me. Every time I told a family member I'd try to say the words "there's something I want to tell you". It seems a little silly, but I knew that if I could say those words aloud, they'd then ask "what is it?" and I'd be "forced" to tell them.

It is hard. I can't say that it isn't going to be awkward or nerve-wracking. But you know that, once its done, you'll feel relieved. All the best :slight_smile:

3. turniptumbler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I`m in the same boat :frowning2: i hear daily how gross and disgusting gay people are, and how Ellen shouldn`t be famous because she`s a lesbian, and the worst part is my mom knows I`m gay and doesn`t tell him to stop :frowning2:(((

4. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the place your in is much worse than mine. he's accepting of gays and everything but I just don't know how he'll feel about his son being gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Blakers19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in your exact situation. I know for a fact both my parents are accepting of gays (my two great uncles are gay, and they love them, haha) but the anxiety of actually telling them is what's keeping me from doing it. I'm thinking more and more every day about how to do it -- just keep thinking about it and eventually you'll muster up the courage to do it. Good luck! :slight_smile:

6. acorn7

Hate to give an overly simplistic answer, but you just have to find the right occasion, muster up the courage and do it!

I told my dad just after I turned 17, we were just us at a restaurant and I just told him I needed to tell him something about myself... and I did. It's incredibly stressful but it sounds like you're on the right track and your dad will be cool with it!

7. jake v

I don't know about your religion or anything like that but my family is very Christian. Yet I feel that my father is the first person I can tell and trust unlike my sister who spread rumors that I am gay. My plan is to gather my arguments and research and take him out to dinner or something. By that point he would already know something is off and probably ask what up, then I would slowly ease into the topic.

I know you think like I do in that they will treat and act differently towards you, but just remember they have always been there for you with nothing but love. Saying three words could never take that away. He might be very shocked and scared even, but it is your job to tell him that you have always been this way and always had these feelings. If you keep saying that you have always felt this way he will realize that the son he has always loved has been gay all along.

I truly hope this turns out well for you and I will pray for you.

8. Yuki Shihoin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, he's accepting of gays right? And he's your father, so no matter, he's still gonna love you no matter what here. I;m here in the same situation where my dad is perfectly fine with gay people (In my case, bi people) and yet for some reason I don't tell him, maybe because I just haven't gotten the right amount of courage yet or the right time hasn't shown itself. So you just gotta be brave and think positively and I am 100% sure things will work out well for you!

It's like ripping off a band aid, it may hurt for a sec, but you'll feel so much better once its off your back. Good luck! ^_^