1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some advice please. :-)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MyBffIsGay, Aug 1, 2011.

1. MyBffIsGay

My best friend recently told me he's gay. I live in a small town so there aren't many openly gay people, so I have some questions for him. I was just wondering how many questions is too many.

Also I was wondering if I should tell him I got an account on EC, or if he would think I was too supportive/or over bearing.

Please leave comments with advice, it will be very greatly appreciated! <3

2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Ask if hes ok
    and be there

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they are just basic questions about being gay, you could probably ask them here and not have to make him feel uncomfortable.
    If they are more personal questions ("When did you first realize it?" etc.) then yeah, it should be alright to ask him. Just don't press him for answers or anything.

You could tell him about EC, he might see it as you trying to understand him and support him. Maybe you could have him come here, too if he needed support.

4. s5m1

Hi and welcome to EC. I would let your friend know that nothing has changed between the two of you. Coming out can be difficult for some people, so your support will be important. If you have questions and he does not seem to mind answering them, I don't see anything wrong with asking them. If you feel some resistance, perhaps back off. He may actually appreciate that you are interested and wanting to learn more.

5. XXReye

I think Nazo gave a good comment :slight_smile:

Just remember if you do ask him anything, first ask if it is ok to ask him questions, and let him know he doesn't HAVE to answer if he doesn't want to.

6. Katelynn

There's nothing wrong with having questions, just be careful not to overwhelm your friend at first with too many questions. Just go at a pace that both of you feel comfortable with. Chance are if he came out to you, He will probably be all right with answering any questions you might have. As for letting him know you are on EC, I don't see anything wrong with that. It, if anything, shows that you care about him enough so that you want to be informed & supportive for him. PLus, if you both live in an area where there aren't many openly gay people, EC may also be a useful place for support for your friend as well, one that he may not even be aware of, so letting hom know that we are here & can all be supportive, but especially that he's not alone in how he feels, would probably be a good thing too.

7. MyBffIsGay

Thank you all so much! All of you comments help very much. :slight_smile:
    @Nazo I found out about this forum when he told me he had "checked it out." (This was before he came out.) I just wanted to be sure that my being supportive wasn't going to be taken as over-the-top.
    Thank you all for your advice.