1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

worried about what would happen?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Brightsky, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am always thinking about what would happen if i came out, at least once a day and sometimes more.:confused:It's been putting a lot of stress on me for a while and i don't know how to deal with it sometimes. I worry how my family & friends will feel about it & if they will treat me differently if they found out. I've heard my brother say horrible things about gay people which pisses me off because me & my bro get along really good and i don't want our relationship to change. As for my mom & dad (who are divorced) i think they are neutral on the subject, i've never heard them say anything terrible about gay people, but there not really pro gay either. I'm 20 years old & all my friends & family think I'm straight. I have never even had a serious relationship, i want to start living my life. How can I even begin to start coming out?

any advice will be appreciated. Thanks:smilewave

2. DarkClarity

Hi there. Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

First, I would say that you don't have to rush coming out. Do it in your own time. About your brother I'd say that you should have a talk with him about his views and try to educate him. Try and show him that the LGBT are just regular people like he is. Again you don't need to rush. About actually coming out I'd say do it how you most feel comfortable and in control, whether it's announcing it in a room full of people or coming out one person at a time.

Overall I'd say that there's no rush, do it when you feel most comfortable and try not to cause yourself any unnessisary stress.

Good luck with everything and I've hoped I've helped a little.

3. TheWanderer

HI!!!! Welcome to EC!!

I think at some point in time we all have had the same concerns as you. While there are people that will treat you differently, often time they are random strangers/ acquaintances. You maybe surprised to find out that the people that do love you will continue to love you and eventually change the negative views they may or may not have. Like DarkClarity said, there is no rush to come out. When you feel comfortable talk to the people you want to and be calm about all of it.

Things will work out. I hope the best for you!

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

We've all been where you are right now, so we totally understand. The thing you need to keep in mind though is that a lot of people, people like your friends and family, think they don't know any gay people when they're very, very wrong. Once you come out those negative comments will probably stop, and many people that were either neutral or ambivalent before will become pro-gay very, very quickly. They love you more than they dislike the LGBT community, and they'll move beyond their ignorance eventually.

There isn't a rush or anything, come out when you feel comfortable and ready. When you feel like it's time pick someone close to you that you know will be accepting and just tell them--send them a message on facebook, text them, call them, tell them in person; whatever you feel the most comfortable with, and use them as a support network. Just put your brave face on and do it, I promise you'll feel much better when you do.

5. Good advice from all of the above posters, that's true, you gotta do this in your own time, but the other thing is, it doesn't sound like any of your friends or your parents are super homophobic. They might just seem neutral because they think they don't know anyone who is gay. It might come as a bit of a shock, but generally parents get over that and so do people who are good friends. Coming out is one of those things that, while hard while it's actually happening, is more often than not less scary and awful than we tend to think it will be before we do it. The anticipation sucks majorly.

As for your brother, is it possible that he picked up this homophobia from friends or kids at school? A lot of straight guys sit around calling each other fags and being offensive, but if called on it or when they find out they know a gay person, they a lot of times will stop. Especially because he's your brother. You are not any different as a person the day before you come out than you'll be the day after. All that changes is one tiny bit of info about you.

Other than that, it's doubtful that coming out will have any effect but strengthening on most of your relationships. So don't borrow trouble before you have it by thinking about it constantly, you likely don't have much to worry about. I know that trying not to worry is often easier said than done, but if you look at this logically, barring any people that are very much and very obviously homophobic in a deeply ingrained way, you don't seem like you're likely to have a ton of rejection about your sexuality.

It's going to be okay. Take a deep breath :slight_smile:
    And welcome to EC by the way. You've come to the right place.