1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was so close.....then I chickened out......HELP!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Yuki Shihoin, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Yuki Shihoin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I was just talking to my mom over the phone and I was so ready to just spill the beans and tell her everything, but I couldn't. I just couldn't push those words past my lips, "Mom, I'm bi" it was practically impossible. I kept thinking about all the ways she could react and what she could say, even though I had convinced myself she would support me and I am even 100% positive she will! So why can't I just say it?!:bang::bang::bang:

Then, we started talking about college and stuff and I had been telling her how I'm having second thoughts that I might not want to go for further education right now, and she said she would support me on any decision I make (You know, as long as I'm not a bum and living on he streets). So then I asked her, very serious, "Mom, would you support me 100% on ANY (I put emphasis on any) decision I make, and you would still love and support me no matter what?" And she said of course she would! (As long as I don't give up in life and go hobo of course) Then she asked if I worrying about something and I said, "Yeah, more than meets the eye." and she inquired further and I just said it was school that had me a bit stressed out and then she asked about this girl she knows I like and I told her yeah, I'm stressed about that too and then some, and that was the end of it really. We went on about some unimportant topic for another minute or so until we hung up........and now I'm frustrated and mad. I had the perfect opportunity and it slipped away all cause I just couldn't say those damned words.

I've considered writing myself a script of what I want to say and reciting it to her next time we talk, that way I could explain everything in one fell swoop...........but I don't even know right now. I'm just really upset with myself right now :tears:

Help, please......... :help:

2. Mogget

Practice saying it in front of a mirror. Role play it with someone you're out to. Keep doing it until it feels totally natural.

3. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

OMG, i totally get what ur saying! both of the times i came out to my friends, i just couldn't choke out the words- so i wrote it on a piece of paper and hid in the bathroom while they read it XD look up "chicken" in the dictionary, i garuntee you will find my pic lol. but you know, the ways of the chicken aren't that bad. :slight_smile: if u liv near ur mom, you could drive by her house and slip a note in the mailbox, and if not, u could always send a letter or a text. but keep in mind that if u do one of those, i highly reccomend a long talk about it afterwards, ya know, make it clear to her that in no way the way she raised u caused u to be gay, s'not her fault, etc.

i hope this helped!!

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sometimes, something within us prevents us to say it or to come out, which is totally fine. Remember, you are trying to let go of something very personal and difficult. Any step that you are taking and that brings you closer, is already something to be proud of.

Don't be upset about it. Thinking about it and wanting to give it a try or trying it, is what really counts. In some ways, you already have come one step closer to coming out to your mom. (*hug*)

Maybe what would help, and as Liam mentioned, maybe try standing in front of a mirror, and say the words out loud. While you do that, try to observe as to how you feel. If you feel good then take it step further and say out loud: "today, I am going to come out to my mom," and see how this makes you feel. If everything feels okay, maybe call her or wait for your next conversation with her and try it again.

What could also help is writing a few thoughts out and as you talk with your mom, maybe have it in front of you.

5. predator9089

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya, that sounds pretty frustrating, but we've all been through that!!! It took me until 23 to work up the courage to say those words...and i had to say i was gay, not bi! Don't beat yourself up over it, they will come. I like bookworm's idea...hiding in the bathroom LOL!!!! Or you could just send her an e-mail and tell her and say you would do it in person but it's hard! I'm sure she will understand and then you can talk about it.

6. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Guest

I know exactly how you feel...I was going to come out to my friends at the movies, but instead of saying "I'm bisexual," I was just like, "I'm...thirsty," I know, stupid. It's probably a good idea to rehearse, or at least make an outline of what you're going to say. But sometimes it can be better to let it happen spontaneously, when the time is right, opposed to carefully planning it out before hand.

7. Remy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You totally could've saved that by saying "I'm...thirsty...for girls." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The anxiety and nervousness is in all of us when we first came out, so don't worry too much about it. Next time, just ignore everything that's swarming in your head and say those little words.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parents are the hardest to come out to (at least in my opinion) they've known you longer then anyone else and their opinion matters, changing that is hard, so don't beat yourself up over it.

As for how to come out, well here are a few suggestions.
    Come out to one first then maybe they can be there when you come out to the other.

Try telling them that you have something you hae to talk about, nothing is wrong, just something you need to let them know.

Wait until you're ready, there is no time frame on coming out.

9. Yuki Shihoin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Damn....I was just talking to her again and I totally messed it up.......again! I asked (since I was on the phone) if she would rather I tell her something very personal in person or not. She said it didn't matter and I could tell her. Then I tried to hang up, that being the only thing I wanted to ask at the time, but she pursued me. I told her stuff like, "It's not a matter if life and death, I didn't kill anyone, I'm not doing drugs." and then she asked, and this killed me, "Is it making you sad?" After a pause I said no........and then she asked, "Will it make me sad?" And I paused longer this time and said no (Which I feel terrible about now). Eventually I had to BS something, so I said I had this other girl I liked next to one that I've been crushing on for awhile (Which she knew about and is the truth), and I was having issues choosing which to pursue and after that she finally said "Girl trouble then, why didn't you just say so?" and then she said we could talk later and then finally hung up.

I feel like crappppp!:tears:

10. Marlowe

I know how it is. I had the perfect opportunity to bring it up today with a friend, which I had been wanting to do for a while, and I just couldn't bring myself to say it. It was on the tip of my tongue and I just could not spit it out.