1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out over facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BlueDuck, Aug 2, 2011.

1. BlueDuck

I want to come out to facebook, because I'm tired of being in the closet, and I just want to be open, but it would mean coming out to a couple extended family members and my sister through facebook, and I'm not sure I want to come out to them like that. Like, would it be akward or impersonal to tell those people like that? I hang out with them all a lot, and I'm sure they'd be fine with it, but I'm just not sure that it's neccesarilly appropriate to tell people that close to me that way. (Also, I don't want to restrict them from seeing it by messing with the privacy settings, because that just doesn't seem right.) Thoughts? (Also, I'm on a bit of a crunch, because I was sort of outed by a classmate who doesn't have facebook, so I'm sure if I didn't tell my shoolmates before the school year starts in September, I'd be outed by him, which doesn't sound to appealing.) I guess my main concern is my sister, because I live with her and all. I just feel like maybe something that important should be told in person, or something. But, I don't want to make too big of a deal about it, becuase it just shouldn't be that big of a deal(and my sister is waayy over-dramatic).

Sorry if it's a bit long and rambly, or hard to understand. It's just hard to put these things into words...

2. Meropspusillus

If it would be easier for you to come out over facebook (and really, you should do what is most easy and comfortable for you!) then maybe you could add a "personal touch" with your family by sending them a personal message/e-mail or something before-hand. I'm gonna repeat myself though, do what makes you feel comfortable, it's your coming out.

3. EM68

If you are ready to come out, which it sounds like you are, I would come out to your sister first in person, or letter then come out on Facebook. That way she is not reading it as a status post.