1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do about "friends"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theWorldisYours, Aug 3, 2011.

1. theWorldisYours

So far this summer I've made great progress as far as accepting my sexuality, and beginning to come out. I've already come out to my best friend, and two other close friends that are separate from my main circle here at home. That leaves my close circle of friends, my sister, and my mom to come out to.

The problem is this: I've come to realize that the group of friends I've had such good times with in high school has evolved into something I don't like. In high school my friends and I smoked pot at parties and on weekends. It slowly evolved into an everyday thing, and now that is all we do when we see each other! I literally rarely see my friends if there isn't pot involved. I am the only one who is conscious of this fact, so I quit smoking. My friends haven't and continue to smoke every day.

I want to come out to two out of six of these people, because these are the only two who I was good friends with before they became total stoners. The other four people I consider acquaintances, but respect never the less. These four members of the group don't respect me, and I'm aware that some of them don't even like me. Their opinions of me are definitely influencing my other two friends as well.

I know that this has turned into a rant at this point, but I need someone to help me out. I want to tell my two friends, but our relationship isn't what it used to be. should I come out and trust these people, or are they just going to hurt me? I honestly need an opinion on whether or not they are even really my friends anymore. I'm also worried that if I don't come out to them, and start being out in college, they will somehow be mad at me because I didn't tell them. Someone please help :confused:

2. Mogget

I don't see exactly why you wouldn't think they're your friends anymore.

3. turniptumbler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally would not tell them. If you don`t want the other four knowing. I`ve heard so many stories of people saying crap when they`re high or drunk, and it might spill. PLUS if you`re going into college, you`re going to find people that won`t smoke drugs and that will become your friends, they will be the ones that you`ll want to tell, I assure it! :slight_smile: