1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I explain how I know she's not just my friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by flymetothemoon, Aug 4, 2011.

1. flymetothemoon

I know in my head and my heart that my girlfriend isn't just a close friend. But the other day someone said to me that maybe she is just a close friend and I'm just confused because I love her but not in a romantic way. Like I said, I know that's not the case, but how is one supposed to explain how they know that? I do love my friends, but I love my girlfriend in a completely different way, I just don't know that there are words to explain it. Has anyone else dealt with questions like these? How did you respond?

2. Sadepeura

I've never even thought of that. I'm happy no one ever asked. It would be good to know an answer though!

3. redstormrising

that's such a strange question . . . i'd almost be insulted if someone asked me that. i would say that you know that she's your girlfriend and not just a close friend the same way a straight girl can differentiate between her boyfriend and a platonic male friend.

4. TraceElement

I'm with redstormrising. For me, this falls as one of the questions that isn't asked of straight people. So, if I were asked this question about a current gf I had, I would counter with "Well, how do YOU explain the difference between a close friend and a gf/bf?"

5. Sadepeura

Yes, that is a very rude question to ask. And yes, only straight people would ask that. And yes, the answer is that it's the same thing as how straight people know a difference between their gf/bf. But I don't think we can get anywhere by just asking them to compare it to their situation. It is an answer but it's not the answer they want. True, to a question like that they don't need a question they want - making them compare it to their life works just as well.

I actually do however have a friend who could just genuinely ask me this sort of a question. And there must be a correct answer to this question.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps you should say because the kind of thing you like to do with your girlfriend you wouldnt want to do with your friends.

Like I could love a male friend, but I would never want to sleep with him.

7. flymetothemoon

I know it sounds like a really rude question, but I don't think it was intended to be rude with the person it came from, I think they were just genuinely curious, which is why I didn't just counter back with well how do YOU know you actually love your boyfriend/girlfriend and aren't just friends with them. I think they were genuinely trying to figure out how I determined that I was in love with a girl and was certain that it wasn't just a strong friendship feeling all of a sudden when I had dated boys all along.

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can see how it wasnt meant to be rude, before I worked out that I was gay, and mainly when I was at college and my friends were crushing left, right and centre over guys I used to think to myself, ok some are better looking than others but they are all just guys how do you know when you really like one more than just a friend, so I guess I can sympathise.