1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boyfriend replacement

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Miaplacidus, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to admit that I'm a romantic and there is nothing I want more than a boyfriend. However, I'm also realistic - which means that I won't find a boyfriend in Uruguay.

You see, I've had enough contacts with Montevideo's gay community (someone described it as "toxic") to know that I don't want to be with those people. And here in Atlantida I'm the only out gay guy in the city (I'm not just a gay guy, I'm THE gay guy), so both straight and gay people avoid me (the first ones 'cause I'm gay and the gay ones because being seen with me is enough for guys to be considered gay, even very straight ones like my friend Juan)

I'm getting depressed more and more because I don't have a loving boyfriend, and at the same time I know that getting a boyfriend nears the impossible in Uruguay. I won't be able to emigrate until at least when (if) I get my PhD in chemistry - which will take me about 8 years, so that means at the very least 8 more years of being lonely.

So, I need a replacement. Something. I don't know what, but I have to set my hopes on something other than the boyfriend I'm not going to get anytime soon. Any suggestions?

2. InaRut

Internet dating/Long relationship dating.
    Doesn't really give you a TOTAL feel for having a boyfriend but it'll give you at least something. But I know how you feel. Why can't you study university somewhere else?

3. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ca$h, of course. I'm very poor.

4. InaRut

Do the states not have a student loan type of ordeal?
    Well...still money is always a problem. Oh well you never know who might move into the neighborhood. And why not try something like online dating (########, matchmaker) or the paper classifieds? How big is this city you live in (not very I'm guessing)

5. sdc91

At good universities, money is rarely a problem since you can get financial aid and loans. You could try going to an international school in Europe or Canada if you really want to get out of Uruguay.

######## doesn't match male-male couples, btw. They're "Christian-based".

6. InaRut

Oh really? Hahahha no wonder their commericals are so lame.
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: That's really funny, I just went off them because of their commericals

7. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Financial aid isn't available for international students.

8. sdc91

Yeah, it is. I said "international school". Look harder. I just found one, although it costs about 25000EUR per year for 3 years (75000EUR is about $111,187.50USD). I don't know how much aid they would give.