1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another two years of THIS?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Azza, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Azza

Be warned this is a bit of a rant :grin:

Well I came out the the parents about three months ago and since then life has been steadily getting worse. I feel like I'm still completely in the closet but they know now and that every single thing I say is being examined. They think that 16 is too young to make a decision which and that "how do I know if I've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend" which to them sounds like a perfectly reasonable argument, but what parent would ask a straight child if they were sure they didn't prefer the same sex.

My mum is really passive aggressive and I swear about 50% of the things she says to me is about how disappointed she is in me. I can't be myself ANYWHERE, hell before I came out at least I could argue with my parents without fear of them kicking me out. To make things worse I am stuck here most of the time as it is the summer holidays all of my friends are currently on holiday. It just seems like every conversation we have is just idle small talk and that they want to say something to me and just can't. I wish they would.

What my question is will they just stay like this? Is there some way I can get things back to the way they were? (other than going back into the damn closet) Basically I'm trapped here for two years and am financially dependent on them and really don't think I could stick it out without losing my mind :bang: HELP!!

2. Brentini

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can understand the whole "arguing endlessly with the parentals" thing, because until my dad was kicked out of the house for full on fighting with me, we argued every single day, im not sure this is going to help but this is what ive found to be the truth: unless you can appeal to your parents and make them realize that you are their child and they should love you no matter what, i think that the best thing to do would be to find someone you can talk to about your issues and simply lie low when you're at home, get a job and prepare yourself to be on your own so that when the time comes you can leave because you want to and not because they are kicking you out.
    Hope this helped, im sorry that it probably came across as really pessimistic
    Good luck =D

3. I'm actually going to agree with Brentini.

If there really is no possible way that you can make things right with your parents, whether it's because they're not listening or because you're afraid you'll be kicked out, I'd say just lay low until you can leave.

School will be back up soon, right? Then all your friends will be home and you can go to school every day, which is nice when home isn't so great.

Get a job and start saving money. The sooner you do this, the more money you'll have and the easier it will be to leave when you are legally able to.

Otherwise, do what you have to do to keep things together and vent about it to your friends and us here on EC when you feel like it's getting to be too much.

(*hug*)

4. acd92

And, I'm gonna agree with thedreamwatch too. As unbearable as this may seem right now, your best option is to just wait and lay low until you can safely get your own place. I'm sorry, I know it must be tough- but it'll get better when school starts and you can get out for a little while.

Be strong.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First thing I'd suggest is talking to a counselor at school, if you have a good one you can talk to (my experience is they range from wonderful to godawful.) The counselor may have some resources that can help you.

Another option is to see if your parents will send you to therapy. As long as they don't send you to some crazy christian therapist, any reputable therapist on the planet will tell them that you are gay, that 16 isn't too young to know, and that you can know without having been in a relationship. For several people I know, that shut their parents up and got them onto a more positive path.

I'd suggest getting them to a pflag meeting, but it doesn't sound like your parents would be open to that.

Finally, it is also an option for you to talk to one of the EC advisors and then strategize about what steps to take. I have, in a couple of cases, talked to parents and helped move them along toward acceptance. Sometimes just having an experienced adult tell them the *exact same thing you've told them* makes a difference in credibility. But a therapist or a guidance counselor at your school will probably carry more weight with them than with some advisor at some "pro-gay" website out on the Internet, so that would be my first choice. :slight_smile: