1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is coming out by letter a good idea??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FloatingPiano, Aug 7, 2011.

1. FloatingPiano

So, I've been thinking about coming out to my parents soon. Maybe not in the next month, but I feel I'm getting more ready to do it recently.

I was just wondering if you guys think coming out to them by writing them a letter is a good idea or not. I find I have real trouble communicating my feelings by actually speaking. I have tried to come out to them in the past, but every time I freeze up, and can't speak words. I just chicken out. So, I'm thinking that if I right a letter, there is know way of me backing out once I give it to them. Plus, I am much more clear in getting want I want to say out on paper. The only reason I am hesitant to do that is because I think it seems a little impersonal to just hand them a letter...

Anyway, just wanted to see what your thoughts on it were? Should I write them a coming out letter? And if you think I should do it, should I type or hand-write it? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that coming out to them by letter is a great idea, lots of people do that as it helps them clearly explain themselves. If you look on EC you will find lots of letters that people have posted that they have used to come out.
    There is no right or wrong way to come out, just whatever feels best for you, and a letter is probably a great idea for you.

3. Just Passing

I came out to one of my parents via letter and it really helped. I got to explain all my feelings down without having to say anything and it saves getting all upset over it. :slight_smile:

4. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think a letter is a great idea. I wish I would have thought of that when I came out. A lot less tears. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. FloatingPiano

Thanks guys. :slight_smile: I'm gonna start writing one soon. :slight_smile:

6. Mercy

Mercy Guest

do tell us how it goes

7. J Snow

I actually did this. My mom was very upset that I did it by letter, but she was so upset about the news like a week later, that I'm glad I wasn't there when she first found out.

8. FloatingPiano

I will, once I get the courage to actually give the letter to them. lol. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aww, I'm sorry you're mom was so upset. :frowning2: