1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've met this girl, but is it fair to start a relationship with her?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Katelynn, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Katelynn

Hi, for those who don't know, I am transgendered, so I'm female in a male body. Since I came out here on EC & to a couple of my friends, I've also come to terms that, since I'm only attracted to other women, I'm also gay. This has been a bit of a relief for me to finally know & accept myself for who I am.

The problem I am facing now is that I'm considering a relationship with a woman my age. We've known each other for a couple of years. We actually met when I started going into one of my local McDonald's stores for breakfast every morning (she is one of the managers) & Joan was behind the counter & we hit it off with each other. Even tho she was already dating & living with someone else, we still enjoyed seeing each other for that 5 minutes every morning & I would go out of my way to go to that location just to see her everyday. I liked her & I was pretty sure she liked me too. She is also a mother & that didn't bother me at all about her. So, for a year, I would see Joan every day, right up until she went on maternity leave (she had a baby girl with her now ex-bf). I still went in for breakfast for a bit after she went on her mat leave, but it wasn't the same, so for about a year after up until my workplace was closed & didn't see her. I also stopped going in as the food was causing issues with my health & I needed to address that quickly. So it had been about a year & a half since I'd seen her.

On Saturday nite, I went to a concert & ran into a former coworker of mine, who was with a couple of people he knew, one of them was Joan! At first, I almost didn't recognize her as she had gotten her hair cut into a very short but cute style & had dyed it from red to black, which looks good on her as well. So, since neither of had recognized each other immediately (I have let my hair grow much longer since the last time we had seen each other), I pointed out that we did both know each other, & when she realized who i was she got a big smile on her face and was happy to see me & even hugged me! She also told me that that nite was her first nite out as a single woman, which I will admit, made me a little glad, even tho I said I was sorry to hear things hadn't wworked out. She jokingly had said to the other guys we were standing with that she had heard that a woman shouldn't have to buy a drink when she was out, so I jumped at the chance to buy her a drink. She had said to be careful around her that nite, as her ex-bf was there as well, so we were both friendly but casual for the whole nite.

During a break in the bands, while the headlining bands was having their crew set up their stage, sound & gear for them, I spoke with my friend, & he had told me that Joan had told him that she had 'had the hots for me'. when I asked him what her exact words were, he said that she really enjoyed & liked when I came in to see her, she had told my friend that even tho she was dating someone else then she 'had the hots for me the whole time'. I will admit, I was quite happy to hear this as I was attracted to her before when we had first met & even when we had a platonic, 5 min relationship in the store every morning, but seeing her having such a great time & enjoying herself & especially outside of where I had only ever seen her before, I found her even more attractive that nite. At the end of the nite, after the show, we were both next to each other after the merch table had been packed up, so I looked at her & asked her if her ex was still there. When she said he had left a couple hours before, I said that I was glad, as I had wanted to do something all nite. Then I kissed her. And much to my own happiness, she totally kissed me back! It was sooo wonderful!

Now to the issue I've been sort of trying to get to now. I'm transgendered & I've decided that I must fully transition, including hormone therapy & GRS surgery to correct my body so that it matches who I am on the inside. I really want to go out with her & we've even made plans to see each other again on Thursday nite for another concert, & while I'm not expecting anything to happen quickly since she just got out of a relationship, I am afraid to start any kind of relationship for a couple of reasons. I've been a little bit lonely for a few years now tho, so I want to be in a relationship with someone I really like at the same time.

Is it fair for me to want a relationship by having to lie to Joan about who I really am & that I intend to correct? Is it fair to Joan that I start a relationship with her, only to eventually tell her that I am transgender and very possibly risk losing someone that I really like now but very quite possibly may come to deeply care for? Should I avoid relationships with any woman until I've had hormones & surgery & can be an honest relationship with another woman? I'm really not sure how to handle this situation & I don't want to hurt Joan's feelings plus, since she's also a mother, I would expect her reaction to be that she wouldn't want someone like me being around her children once a possible relationship might have gotten more serious & I have waited until then to come out to her. I'm just really note sure how to handle this, all I know is that I really, really like her & want to at least spend a little bit of time with her & see where things go. I just don't think it would be easy to have to lie about myself...

Sorry for the long post, but it's something I've had on my mind since Joan & I reconnected this weekend, and especially after we had kissed. Any help or advice would be really helpful right now...

2. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

(*hug*) kiersten, u know i love you, and you know i want you to be happy. but i must be honest- it isn't fair for you to lie to her. but that doesn't mean you can't be friends with her- have you considered coming out to her? is she supportive of LGBT rights? do u think it would matter to her? this is a really tough situation k, but i don't think you should lie to her. in the end, it'll only blow up. i hope this helps, and i hope it all works out, and i hope you know you can talk to me about it whenever u need 2! (*hug*)

3. cdstephany

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey girlfriend (*hug*)
    I love ya too hun but I have to agree with everything bookworm said. It would not be right to start a relationship without coming out to her first. If things went well and you ended up getting married then you will be in the same boat that Im in, having a family and being stuck in the closet with a whole new list of problems. If you come out to her and shes not ok with it then you will both end up hurt wether it is now or later down the road. However if you do come out to her and she is ok with it, then your relationship will be that much stronger. You will be able to be the real you more often or all the time and when you get your surgery it wont be a shock to her kids as they would already know that you are a woman. It may even help with your other situation at home.

We care about you K (*hugs*) and none of us want to see you get hurt or hurt someone that you care about. If you arent honest about it then you are only going to be miserable in the long run. Ill always be around for you to talk to anytime. You have been a sister to me ever since I met you.
    Love ya sis
    <3 Stephany

4. Mogget

I agree that you should tell her. It's a significant part of who you are and concealing that in a relationship would be a major strain on it. She may still want to be with you, as she clearly likes you, so I wouldn't worry too much.

5. SaphireMoon

about 2-3 hours north of the twin cities in MN
    I agree with Liam, after all she does deserve to know that you are transgendered so she may make an informed choice. and you have lots of people who love you here on EC(*hug*)

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with what everybody else that has responded in this thread has said. You should tell her because it's a major part of you. It will help your relationship because you are not hiding this from her.

7. redstormrising

i'm going to have to agree with everyone in the "be honest" camp. both for yourself and for her. i don't want to see you get into a relationship with her and have it stand in the way of your transitioning, or cause you extra stress from trying to keep it a secret from her

8. Leif

I would have to agree with everyone above, It's not fair to either of you to start a relationship at this point when she really doesn't know the real you. A relationship shouldn't start with questioning (*hug*) You're an amazing person and I really hope it works out for the best.

9. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honesty is the best policy. That is something I adhere to very strictly because dishonesty just makes you miserable in the end. You don't want to get caught up in a lie only for it to come crashing down around you. If you tell her now and she takes it well, you will have a stronger relationship, or even if she no longer wants to be in a relationship after that, she might still be a good friend and she will be glad that you told her the truth now rather than later. If she doesn't take it well or for some reason can't accept it, then you have learned that this woman is not someone who will make you happy in the long run.

Good luck, I hope things go well with her. :slight_smile:

10. Sadepeura

Kiersten, it's great that you're seeing this girl. I agree with everyone else though, you should tell her. It's who you are and the relationship is never going to work if you have to lie to her. No one knows how she's going to react, it could be good or bad. But hopefully if it doesn't go so well, you two could still be friends afterwards. I really wish you the best of luck!