1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does liking glee almost ensure someone is gay friendly?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Foxywolf, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Foxywolf

Just wondering, if someone likes Glee does that mean it is almost certain that they are gay friendly too?

As some of you guys know I have recently found out who my room mate is and am going through the nerve wracking process of figuring out if she is gay friendly and figuring out how/when I should come out to her.

So she mentioned that she liked glee and even suggested having a glee night. Do you think this means she is okay with gays?

2. Mogget

Bill O'Reilly and Michelle Bachmann like Glee. So either they're faking their homophobia or like Glee despite hating gays.

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    not nessissarily; try dropping something like 'Yeah, a Glee night would be great, I think the whole Kurt/Blaine (I think those are their names :S don't watch it) thing is great' or '[THE LESBIAN ONE](don't watch it..) is my favorite character'

#3 Kerze, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are too many different people who enjoy the show to get an accurate reading on a person just from them saying they like it.
    You could segue into a question about the Santana/Brittney relationship, though, and maybe get more information on her from her reaction to that.

#4 Ethan, Aug 8, 2011
  5. Nope. My best friend is a homophobe, and she likes Glee.

#5 Super Trouper, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011
  6. Foxywolf

Oh geeze that's a bummer, you would think only more accepting people would like Glee...Well I did say that Kurt is my favorite character...

Well yes maybe i could use glee as ammo to figure out if she is accepting.

7. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I understand it covers a lot of gay related topics so i think it's a good thing to test the waters with

8. Katelynn

I find this as just another example of these two's being hypocrites since there is a couple of gay charcaters on Glee, they seem to be just right out against gay people & yet they claim to like a show that has Kurt, a gay character, being open about who he is, plus there are Brittany & Santana's relationship as well. Yet another reason why folks like Bill & Michelle can't be taken seriously & have zero credibility, at least with me anyway...

As far as whether this would be a good barometer for figuring out if someone isn't homophobic, I wouldn't go just on if someone likes a TV show alone. After all, there are A LOT of people who enjoy Broadway & show tunes, but both aren't gay & pretty intolerant of people who are. I would rely on how you feel about your roommate & just spend time getting to know the person she is, then you should have a better idea about how she may react when you do come out. Plus, this would give her much more time to get to know you, so that when you do come out to her, you're her friend thatshe's known for a while that is gay & not that gay person she just started rooming with. Once you have your friendship with her on a personal level where you both care about how each other are doing, it should be a little easier for her to accept hearing what you want to tell her...

#8 Katelynn, Aug 8, 2011
  9. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Have you seen the Corporation who owns it? You Theory is invalid.

10. Just Adam

IMO watching glee just shows people have bad taste in tv lol

I know that's controversial but I hate the show. I find it a walking stereotype and very annoying.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! I resemble that remark! You're talking about one of my favorite shows! :slight_smile:

12. XXReye

I do think that part of Glee is that it is almost satyrically stereotypical :wink:

I would also reccomend maybe saying something like "Oh, I hope Santana and Brittany get together!" or something of the sort. If she agrees, it shows she's at least open to the idea of gay relationships. You could even follow it up by saying, "It was good to see people like me represented in the media" or something like that.

It's funny, I once read this old advice book for gays...it suggested asking someone what they thought of the latest Will & Grace episode to see if they were also gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Raeil

Short answer - Probably.

Long answer - Glee covers so many different things, so people like it for many different reasons. The show has focused on two same-sex relationships and currently has a total of 5 main non-straight characters, though. In my opinion, the fact that it looks at these characters sympathetically means that those who can say truthfully "I like Glee," must at least be somewhat accepting of non-straight individuals. I'm sure there are exceptions, but with how blatant the show has been about it's support of LGBT people it doesn't seem that likely.

14. Just Adam

I prefer beautiful people ( the uk version )

Just as stereotypical but it's trying to be and is far funnier.

I must be the only non straight person to not like glee haha

15. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As it's a TV show, anyone can like it. I think it's very popular among the gay community in general, but I guess anyone can enjoy it as well, whether or not they are homophobic or what not.

16. feelindown

feelindown Guest

sometimes people are ok with tv personas and have issues with them in real life. "omg i love kobe bryant" but some people may have issues against random black guys that aren't so "famous". same with gays. however, if she is into glee they have a lot of gay characters and story lines on there. if i were you, maybe bring up the subject of that episode with the girl that is in the closet or suspected of being in the closet..."hey did you see that one when everyone thought (insert name) was gay?" ..... and start it from there. usually if people are anti gay, they will get a quick bash in the moment the subject comes up. you can get a read for her thoughts on this topic and then decide based on that if you want to come out to her or not. it sounds as though she will be accepting. good luck. :slight_smile:

17. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I think you should ask more questions to get a better reading. Like you could ask who their favorite character is or what they think of Kurt/Blaine and Santana/Brittany. You could ask what couples they ship to see if they're okay with the gay storylines.

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really like it.

But, I'm pretty sure people who watch glee are more likely to be accepting. If anything they are at least exposed to gay people, and, don't change the channel because of it. They are at least probably not hardcore homophobes.

19. Nightmaric

I have a homophobic friend who loves glee and finds every gaystoryline creepy and "doesn't agree with it" so no. But, it can be a spring board to find out ( I did and the person obviously didn't respond)

20. Just Passing

The chances are if you watch Glee, then you are at least somewhat open to gay issues. Even without the gay characters I recall, the show is pretty campy in itself.

Though I raise a new question. Is it possible to be gay and not like Glee? Because that's me. :grin: