1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning my Gaydar.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by paper person, Aug 8, 2011.

1. paper person

Normaly I am as thick as brick wall and when people are flirting with eachother or me, i tend to not notice. I am really bad at missing all the subtle signs or I over analys certain actions. I can get plenty of advice on girls, but since I'm not out to anyone yet advice here is the best resource I have.

So how can you tell If somone is gay?
    And
    How can you tell if someone is intersted in you?

I understand that nothing is certain and certain signs could mean nothing. Ill be sure to take everything with a grain of salt. But Any advice is welcome.

2. Ridiculous

Well, as a general rule you can't unless they tell you so. However there are some things that are probably more common in gay males (I don't know about lesbians so I can't give any advice for them):
    • clothing is more well-fitted; rainbow things are good indicators. Some clothing styles can typically be associated with 'gay-ness' but this depends on where you live (e.g. comparing Japanese styles to New Zealand is completely different)
    • grooming is taken care of (eyebrows and fingernails are the easiest to notice)
    • standing and sitting with legs reasonably close together rather than spread apart. Crossing legs when sitting possibly (for younger generations anyway)
    • some mannerisms, like touching their hair, adjusting clothes

However there are lots of examples of gay guys who don't do any of these and lots of straight men who do. There isn't any way to know definitively without them saying... but in my experience these things are more common.

The only thing that I know of is repeated and prolonged eye contact. Unfortunately I have no idea past that, and even this probably isn't a very good indicator.

3. I'm not fantastic at any of this, so I generally go with "you can only be sure if they tell you". That goes for interest and for sexual orientation haha.

4. feelindown

feelindown Guest

the only true way to know is to ask someone and you can't very well go around asking random people if they are gay or not. things like lingering stares, smiles, asking for your number, etc. can be misleading. somepeople are just friendly. really unless someone tells you they are or makes it clear by some gesture to you or some overtly blantant flirt, then you will not know but you will be able to "guess or assume".

5. Bi As A Kite

All true, but then you might even be un/lucky enough to encounter one of those guys who acts really camp, touchy-feely etc., but is still straight. It's almost like someone's paying them to flirt with you. :/

6. paper person

Aw crap. I knew it, but it was worth a try anyway. Thanks guys srry for the waste of post LOL.

7. Hot Pink

The problem is that the majority of homosexual people look and act just like heterosexuals. While I know there are some homosexuals that fit the stereotypes, the majority don't. There aren't any tell tale signs.

8. paper person

Than why do some people claim to have excelnt gaydar?

9. feelindown

feelindown Guest

it's really just trial and error. i'm sure if you read the posts on here you will see there are situations where people thought 100 percent that a person or crush was gay, bi, or closeted and they turned out not to be and there are situations where they turned out to be. that's why people are saying the only real way to know is to ask if you feel comfortable with that person and that they will not get offended.

10. ezkill

Okay, so before I say these things, I want to preface it by saying that I do not believe you can conclusively tell if someone is gay or not just by looking at them or observing them for a small amount of time. The only way to be sure is to ask. I don't like perpetuating stereotypes, but there are some visual/body cues that I look for when I am planning on approaching someone that MIGHT be gay:

1. Butt swing -- I notice that a lot of gay people, whether they are completely masculine or feminine, have this swig or swing to their butt when they walk. It's sort of like how a girl walks because of the size of her pelvis relative to that of a male counterpart.
    2. How they stand -- next time you are with a group of gay friends, look at their postures and their positioning when they stand up. What are their legs doing? What are their hands doing? Where are their eyes looking?
    3. When a good looking guy walks buy, they turn their head or eyes.

Please not, I am NOT saying that if you do these things, that it makes you gay, bi, or whatever. These are just things I use as a sort of quick filter. They are in no way meant to be portrayed as accurate or correct.

The best way to tell if someone is gay, besides asking, is by gut feeling, which is what is deemed as gaydar. Sometimes it's not a cue someone gives off, it's a feeling you get when you are around them. You can feel it, it's almost like a special type of energy.

Anyways, later!