1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SaphireMoon, Aug 8, 2011.

1. SaphireMoon

about 2-3 hours north of the twin cities in MN
    thinking of telling my family that i am trans, but the only other person i told no longer talks to me (save for my brother). then my parants keep saying how proud they are that im their son and i think they want a grandkid out of me and now i have to say oh btw i am your daughter and the chances of grandkids from me are slim. well that and the fact they might disown me for being and affront to god or something. so a little nervous. anyone have any advice?

2. Well, as for them thinking you're "an affront to God", I don't know what to tell you that will make them see otherwise (though you might want to steer them toward PFLAG and their pamphlets and meetings...), but as for grandkids, I've got some good news for you. If you're planning on getting surgery, freeze some sperm beforehand and then your partner later in life can have a child that is genetically both of yours! Which is really special, I think.

Coming out as trans to your parents must be a scary thing to do and honestly I've got no experience, but a lot of people here do, I'm sure. Or at least can sympathize with how tough it must be.

But I've got this for you (*hug*)
    Keep us updated on how it's going :slight_smile:

3. XXReye

Maybe you could ask your brother to help, or be there to support you when you do it.
    Make sure your parents are in a good mood when you tell them, and make sure you have plans on somewhere to go IF things go badly (if you live with your parents, that is)

I Second thedreamwatch's reccomendation of pamphlets of some kind. When I came out to my dad, he refused to believe that being transgender was even a thing. It might have helped for him to have some "official information" there to convince him.