1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First date - with a girl!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LivingInLyric, Aug 12, 2011.

1. LivingInLyric

So I have my first date tomorrow with a girl. She's one year older than me. She's the sister of a former English teacher of mine who I'm very close to and open with, and my teacher was the one who urged me to ask her out. She lives about two hours away, and her phone and Internet connection isn't that great out in the state where she lives, so this is probably the only time I will get to see her before school starts (she attends school in the same state as me.)

I'm super nervous. I am going over to her sister's house and we are going to hang out, then I am driving her back to my town to see end-of-summer fireworks. Do any of you have any advice for someone questioning her sexuality on a first date? I have dated two guys before and both cheated on me, so I dumped them. Any ideas on how I can be comfortable and confident in this new situation?

My teacher says that her sister is interested in me, but I'm scared I'm going to blow it! :help:

Hugs,

Amanda

2. Mogget

Remain calm. I was so tense on one of my earlier dates that I was sitting rigidly. So practice deep breathing, relax your muscles, try to enjoy yourself. On that particular date we went to a comedy, which loosened me up quite a bit, so maybe watch/read something really funny before your date.

3. Katelynn

First of all, good luck on your date! This is such a big step & I hope it works out for you! Second, don't panic. Just try & remain relaxed & don't try & force yourself to feel anything you don't. Just be yourself! :slight_smile: Third, you already know that she's interested in you, so that is one less thing to get all worried about over. And finally, have fun! And once again, good luck!

4. addie88

good luck!!! omg i'm so jealous. even through all these nerves, you must have some excitement somewhere! :slight_smile: anyways, i agree with Liam. humor is the best way to remove tension from a situation. you'll do fine, just be yourself! and don't focus on what could happen and what you should do and say... just go with the flow. :slight_smile:

5. Eleanor Rigby

The best possible advice is to just be yourself. Try to focus on having a nice time and to get to know her, that is far enough on a first date. If there is chemistry between the two of you, great, if there isn't you'll just have made a new friend. Don't make it more than it is : a date between two people who are interested in getting to know each other and spending a nice evening.
    Take care and HAVE FUN :slight_smile:
    Cécile

6. Noir

Good for you, lovely! That's great news!! I'm also jealous--I never got as far as you, though I almost did. >-> Maybe a good mind set for you to have is to think of it as building a really good friendship so it doesn't seem like so much pressure (although she apparently likes you a lot, right? :icon_wink)? But I agree!! Be yourself and have fun!! Let us know how it goes, and good luck! ^-^

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think of the first time you did something with a good friend of yours. Just went out and had a good time. That's what your first date should be like. Just going out, having a good time. :slight_smile:

Hanging out/fireworks sounds like a fine first date. My only suggestion is this - it's easy to fall into the trap of panicking every time there's a lull in the conversation, and trying to fill by blabbering about whatever. Don't. Lulls are natural. Take your time thinking of your next topic. And have a good time, damnit. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. adam88

I just had my first date with a guy a few weeks ago (second date was yesterday and went well:slight_smile:) so I know how you feel. Just be yourself!

9. LivingInLyric

Hi guys!

Thank you all for your great advice. We had a wonderful time, and there were some moments lying on the blanket before the fireworks where we just got to say nothing and looking into each other's eyes :slight_smile:

My mom was being super psycho and forced me to take her with us when I drove her home because it was "late", but I personally think she was suspicious. My parents aren't exactly gay-friendly, so I didn't get a chance to have private conversation with my date on the way home. She did, though, give me a big hug on the doorstep ^.^

I had a lot of fun and the nerves went away in a short time! You were right! We're planning to see each other again once school starts up.

<3

10. Katelynn

That's so awesome! I'm so happy you both had a great time!

11. LivingInLyric

I think I really like her...I feel myself blush whenever she crosses me mind :icon_redf

12. flymetothemoon

Aw, that's great! I'm glad for you that it went so well!