1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

im going to do it!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SiberianHusky, Aug 13, 2011.

1. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok its time for me to come out. I'm sick and tired of this closet :bang: (its full of junk that keeps falling on me) ,and the more I live this lie the more I find it even harder to sleep at night:sleep:. I'm going to tell my sister first, only because she is the most accepting person I know, but when I tell her I'm also going to tell her to not tell my mom and dad! I am going to wait till I'm out of college for them ,and what I want to know is how can I ready myself for the moment I tell her?:confused:

P.s. I know its a big step to take, and well aware of some of the risks. How do you people do it! I have lived like this all my life and I find this web site and then boom 4 to 5 weeks later I'm coming out of my closet...when they named it "empty closets" they were not kidding well anyways thank you all so much!(&&&) (sorry for spelling and/or grammar errors.)

2. Scentedcandle

3. Jonathan

First off...wow...Congrats on being ready to come up at such a young age! I would have never been able to do that at 14 lol. :eusa_clap

I'm not sure exactly what your sister is like, but my advice is to make sure that the first person you come out to be the person most likely to support you and give you a nice big hug. If it was me, I would breech the topic gently but directly. Pull her off to the side one day, have her sit down and say that you have something important that you want to tell her. I would say something along the lines of "I've thought about this for awhile and have decided that I can't hide a part of myself anymore. I'm not sure how you're going to react to this...but I'm gay." I would also reccomend trying to keep your emotions in check. Coming out can be a difficult thing to do, but it could go smoother if you can keep yourself composed.

I reccomend doing it like this because...well, I did it the exact opposite when I came out for the first time lol. Instead of being direct about it, I beat around the bush. That only had the effect of dragging out the moment and made it much more awkward and stressful when I finally came out. As for keeping my emotions in check...lets just say I was sobbing before I was done :eusa_doh:

Anyway, good luck! :goodluck:
    The first person is always the hardest. (*hug*)

4. PersonalTaste27

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  5. Eleanor Rigby

I hope everything is going to go well with your sister. Let us know about it.
    Just in case, here is a link to a Pflag booklet that you can give to your sister. It's normally something for parents to read, but it can be helpful for siblings too.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Take care (*hug*), Cécile

6. 4alex6

Good luck! I know how hard it was for me to come out a month ago and I hope it all goes well for you! Try to keep us updated! :slight_smile:

7. s5m1

I agree with Muzzy's advice. Find a time when the two of you can talk privately and uninterrupted. She will likely have a lot of questions, not because she is taking it badly. Rather, this will be new information to her, so it is natural for her to want to learn more. The PFLAG materials are a great suggestion, too.

I also want to say congratulations on the progress you have made since joining EC. I know how scary this is for you, but I agree that life in the closet is no fun. I have found that being out is an incredibly freeing experience and that you can live a much happier and fuller life if you are open about who you are.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it, Stephanie!

[youtube]QPf51_mPONM[/youtube]

Lex