1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

too old to join a GLBT group on my college campus?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gambit, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Gambit

Hopefully I posted this in the right section.

My question is: am I too old to join a GLBT group on my college campus? I'm 22 years old. I have never been part of any GLBT association, so I don't know if those clubs are mainly compossed of freshman students, and if I'll be a "creepy old guy" :wink:.

Thanks!

2. SaphireMoon

about 2-3 hours north of the twin cities in MN
    umm idk lol ill be a freshman this year and plan in joining, and im 22 as well so i guess ill be the creepy old freshman guy lol, But I think you will be fine. The other groups i have contacted or visited were all very welcoming :slight_smile:

3. Kirakishou

I don't know how it is there, but ours is really diverse in age. We have quite a few grad students too.

4. Ridiculous

Definitely not.

I won't say that there is no age limit on these sorts of groups (because obviously it'll be a bit awkward for everyone if there is someone that is significantly older or younger there), but for a college campus I'd say this range lies from about 18-30.. so 22 is perfectly fine.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Pretty much what everyone else said.

If you still have doubts, just be sure that the people running the club are probably not freshmen so you will at least have company :slight_smile: Go and have fun!

6. Eleanor Rigby

Of course not !!!! Go and have fun !

7. Sadepeura

I'm sure that you won't even be the oldest person in the club! 22 probably doesn't even seem older than the freshmen, so you'll be fine! :slight_smile:

8. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No you're not too old -- I would definitely recommend joining! :slight_smile:

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Around here, the upper limit most groups set is 24. But from what I hear the distribution is prety much even between all ages. So even though you wouldn't be the youngest, you'd hardly be out of place.

And take it from someone who came out after he was over 24: you don't want to regret not going when you had the chance: so I'd say go for it!

10. Gambit

Thanks everyone for your responses! They are going to have an open-house today, so I it will be a good opportunity to check them out.

Have a good one,

11. Zontar

>22
    >old

Nope.

12. ezkill

You are very lucky your college campus even has a GLBT group. I go to a pretty well-known school, so it surprised me to learn that my college campus, with as many students as it has, only has a politically-oriented GLBT group. Is this group you are joining politically motivated, or is it for socializing?

I'm trying to find a good school for graduate studies that has a decent GLBT group.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to join my the group at my school. I'm a freshman and I'm 18, so there's not that much difference between 18 and 22.

14. Katelynn

I thnk you're lucky. My college campus doesn't have ANY LGBT groups at all. I'm 36 & I would join if there was one here. I'm thinking about maybe trying to start one on my campus, but I'm also kinda afraid of how that might turn out to...

15. slowly

Definitely not too old! I think that the group will benefit from having people of various ages and experience levels. That being said, I need to disagree with thecat60, in that I think there is quite a difference between 18 (practically a high schooler) and 22 (someone who has been an adult for a few years). This doesn't mean you should not join though. I certainly don't think you would be looked at as the "old creepy guy" because 22 is still considered "college-age" for many people.

You're way too young to start thinking of yourself as "old". I didn't start thinking that until I was 25 or so and I now realize even THAT was way too young.

16. At my school we even have a couple parents of LGBT kids in our group. Some late twenty-somethings, some eighteen year olds and everything in between, not to mention a couple of faculty advisors. So no, you won't be the "creepy old guy" you're 22, relax. :slight_smile: