1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i might be ready

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by whatsnormal7, Aug 16, 2011.

1. whatsnormal7

Im starting to think im close to being ready to come out to my family. Any tips on how to do it? Also I have a 10 year old sister- should I tell her at the same time or before or with my parents? thanks!

2. ezkill

Well, it depends on how receptive you think your family will be to it. Personally, I always come out and directly say it. It may be best to come out to your family members individually if you know some of them wont accept it; but if you know that your entire family is mostly accepting, it may be best to come out to more than one person at once.

I have yet to come out to some members of my family, however I know I came out to my sister through text message (well, it's more like she made me come out).

You could try to bring it up in casual conversation, or you could do it over a nice meal. It depends on the individual and how *you* feel about it.

There's no explicit "right" way to come out.

3. Jim1454

You don't say how old you are... That might make a difference. And yes - how do you expect your family to react?

With respect to your younger sister, I would talk to your parents first. I think she is old enough to know. I told my kids I was gay when they were 6 and 8, so at 10 she'd definitely old enough.

4. whatsnormal7

Oops sorry I'm 16 and I know that my parents are generally accepting people.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

If you feel like you are wanting to come then I say go for it. You already seem to have supportive friends and you seem comfortable with yourself, so now you just have to take the plunge. Your parents reaction might range from completely bad to complete okay, but just remember that most parents will take a while to come to terms with it so don't give up on them since most parents do come around with time. You can also read about the stages of grief that most parents go to in the resources. That alone can be a big help in coping with good or bad reactions :slight_smile:

Like ezkill said, there isn't a right or wrong way of coming out. Your best option is do it in a way that you are comfortable with may that be text, email, phone, face-to-face, letter or whatever else you want.

As for your little sister, I think you should wait until you tell your parents. Not because its a bad thing to tell a 10 year old, but because it might cause problems with your parents since they will feel like things are out of their control. Once your parents are okay with it you can go ahead and tell her.

Best of luck and keep us updated! :slight_smile:

6. tessag12

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Please keep in mind that I am still in the coming out process, by no means do I think I am good at it. I like myself saw my family as loving and accepting people, and I knew they would never completely lose it, but I was still scared because its a pretty big deal. I read all about coming out and tried to plan exactly what I was going to say.

If your family is anything like mine, its not going to go as planned. Just sort of talk to them rather than giving your speech and let them know that you are willing to answer questions.

I would also wait to tell your sister, so that you and your parents can make a plan together, and who knows it might be a good bonding experience.

I wish you luck but you seem to pretty much know what you want, so I would go in with no expectations and just let out what you are feeling while being aware of their feelings.

7. whatsnormal7

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Tessag- are you saying even though you thought your family was accepting it didn't go well?

8. tessag12

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    No it went well, and it actually went better than expected with certain family members ( I came out to my sister first, then my dad, and scariest for last, my mom) My mom actually ended up being super nice and supportive and honest.

It was a really sensitive time for me, so even when my dad said " I don't judge and I just want you to be happy, I don't know if its right, but who am i to judge" ALL I heard was "I don't know if its right"

But to be honest, it went really well, all of my family members are making an effort to get used to this change. And just telling them will make you feel so much less anxious and nervous.
    Good luck and let me know how it goes

9. whatsnormal7

yeah i get what you mean by you only heard "i dont know if its right"- i would do the same thing. Is it really that big of a change for everyone? i hope its not a huge deal in my family

10. feelindown

feelindown Guest

hi mom and dad, can i talk to for a quick second. its somethig iwanted to talk to you about.....i'm a lesbian. i've known for a a few years now but iwanted to tell you. i love you. dont try and change me. i need your support. if you dont agree with it, i understand. sometimes i dont even know how i feel about it. but it is what it is. just dont bash me. i love you and i still need your unconditional love.

dont tell baby girl yet. keep her in the dark.

11. whatsnormal7

i think they will be ok with it i just dont want to answer awkward questions about sex and stuff because were just not that close. lol... if i dont tell my sister now when should I? wont she be mad that i didnt tell her?