1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting the Conversation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sjg545, Aug 16, 2011.

1. sjg545

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I have finally come to the point where I am ready to come out to my parents. I am only out to one friend at this point and I really want to come clean because I'm tired and I feel like I'm lying to everybody.

I'm on vacation this week with my mom and my brother. We are with a bunch of our extended family too. Anyways, I have made it a goal to come out to my mom before we go home. I'm confident that I will be able to find the right moment but I have no idea what to say or how to even start the conversation with my mom. I think it's going to be a big shock to her but I don't think she's homophobic or anything. I remember she had a lesbian best friend for a while and some of her coworkers are gay and she doesn't seem to have a problem with them. So, my question is how do you think I should tell her. Should I kind of build up to it or should I just blurt it out? I really have no idea.....

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    for me i told my mom that I had a date, and she asked me what her name was, and I said it was a guy, lol, then we hugged, but everyone has a different story, my recommendation is to just do what you think is your best bet, if you get too nervous, just blurt it out, but whatever you do, just follow your gut :slight_smile:

3. I know it's not the most HELPFUL advice, but it's really about how you feel most comfortable.

You could made a big entrance to the subject and be like "Hey, Mom I really need to tell you something and it's important to me and here it is...." and then come out with it.

Or you could just be like, "Hey Mom, no big deal or anything, but I just thought you should know..."

It's really about how you feel comfortable talking about your sexuality. You could even create a way into the conversation like, "don't you think so-and-so is really attractive?" or talk about LGBT issues. There are lots of options.

I went with the "Mom, I'm gay" approach. Straightforward, no time for me to change the subject. Then it was out there and we could have a better talk about it because we both knew what we were talking about haha.

Good luck :slight_smile: Keep us posted on how it goes!

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does all come down to you. The faster and easier way is just blurting it out and if you're comfortable doing that then I say go for it. A lot of people also start with telling someone they have something important to say, which is another good option. I think either way is fine as long as you get it out there. And if you feel you're getting cold feet, just blurt it out. Remember, "I'm gay" is only two words -- hard to say sometimes, but it'll come out easy when it's blurted. Good luck and please keep us posted on this goes. :slight_smile:

5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, my exact words were:
    "You know mom, there's something bothering me as of late that I think you should know. You know how you always say you look forward to the day I'd be married with a nice girl and having kids of my own? Well, I'm still planning on doing that. But I think it's best to let you know it will probably be with a nice guy instead of a girl..."

In retrospect, I think it would have been better if I left out the "probably" and managed to at least get the word "gay" worked in there, but it got the job done.

I think the main factor here is how you feel about building up to it. I like the idea of a little buildup, if only because it's likely to snap her into the "this is important stuff so I'd better listen carefully" mindset. It also helps in affirming that you do this because you want to be honest and open, and because you trust her.
    On the other hand, you don't want to make it so long that you risk chickening out. So you might want to limit the lead-in to two or three sentences.

What does help is practicing a few times in a mirror (or other times when you're alone). Try saying it out loud with and without lead-in and see how it flows off the tongue. Try saying it bluntly: "mom, I'm gay" or in a more circumspect way: "mom, I like guys, not girls". That way you can get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Above all: if you see a possible moment: try to go for it. The important thing is the fact that you tell her, not the specifics as you're bound to get into a more natural conversation afterwards either way.

6. Lotty

All of the above. Everyone here gives great advice. But I want to add one thing.
    You said: "I'm confident that I will be able to find the right moment"
    And that right there is where you go wrong. It's great that you want to come out and good luck with it, but trust me on this: there is no such thing as the right moment. So don't go waiting for it. Cause you'll end up thinking : 'No, not now, we're having such a good time, I don't want to spoil it.' or 'No, she's already pissed off, this is not the right time.'
    So don't do that. Maybe it's a good idea to tell your mom that you want to tell her something later on. That way, you can prepare yourself, and your mom already knows that there's something going on. And you can't chicken out, cause she'll want to know. It worked for me, my friends kept pushing me until I told them.
    Good luck, my friend (*hug*)

7. TheWanderer

I agree with everyone here, there is really only what you are comfortable with. I will specifically agree with Lotty, in saying that there isnt a right moment, an ideal time, or an ideal way. It sucks, I wish I was able to find the right moment, and even though I know there isnt one I still find myself searching for it.

Best of luck, and keep us posted. :slight_smile:

8. sjg545

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm going to do it today and I'm posting this so you guys can hold me accountable. Wish me luck. I'm so nervous I'm shaking just typing this.

9. Hitchhiker

Good luck! :grin: We believe in you.

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no way back now! You can do it! :thumbsup:

11. sjg545

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just did it! Ahhhhhhh! She was amazing. She made sure to say that she didn't feel any differently about me then she did before I came out. I love my mom :slight_smile:. Thanks for the support guys! I really needed it.

12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap
    Congratulations! Coming out to your mom might be one of the hardest things to do, ever, and you made it with flying colours! Now go and enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: