1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Guitarguy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Guitarguy

first of all if there is already another thread on coming out over facebook then please if you could provide a link for me. (im on my ipod and the internet takes forever to load the previos pages)

if not then could you please give me insight as to your thoughts on coming out over facebook. i have never come out to anyone and i think that it might be a good idea for me to come out over facebook to get my confidence up for next time. or mabye thats just a good excuse to come out over facebook.
    anyone who has come out over facebook. do you think that you would have gotten a different reaction in real life and if so better or worse

2. Mad Man L

It depends on what kind of person you are. If you don't like real life conversation, messaging someone is probably better. As a first time, it would probably be better over FB because you can't back out of it, nor are there any 'awkward silences'.

I havn't come out to anyone over FB, rather, I changed my 'Interested In' to Men/Women and came out that way, so it was semi-over Facebook. I found it better because generally on the internet I can give more measured responses rather than an awkward silence.

3. feelindown

feelindown Guest

u are 14. dont come out on fbook. end of story. get to know yourself and only come out to people where you think it matters. the world doesnt need to know u r gay.

4. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well if you are considering comming out on facebook and your family and relatives are on it, it be better to let them know before comming out on facebook.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out on Facebook isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it's very impersonal. It's fine for letting that guy you barely see once a month know, but it's not great for letting your BFF know. It's a bit like getting a personal letter addressed to "occupant".

But times, they are a-changin'. I know MANY people who chose this route, and I don't think a single one regretted it. If you don't think anybody in your close circle would be (much) offended by going this route, do it.

Lex

6. Hazel

I passingly considered it, but wound up coming out to a few very close friends in person instead. I was able to be more selective about who heard than I would over Facebook where everyone on my friend list would be privy, and our conversation about it along with anything that needed to be cleared up was more personalized. Actual, physical hugs were nice, too, because I was rather frazzled. That went well, and that got my confidence up to the point where I'm feeling like it's not so terribly difficult and life-changing as I thought, and it will be easier to come out to people I'm not already sure will accept me but I feel should know anyway (see: family).

The reverse might be true for you, though. Facebook is, as it's been said on this thread, more impersonal but you can take time to think up a response if you don't know what to say, and I think for some people putting text onto a screen is less intimidating than saying it to someone's face. The Internet has its advantages.

However, if you post it openly as a status or "interested in," a lot of people are going to be able to see it, and it's not like it can just be taken back after they've seen. Be sure it's what you want.

#6 Hazel, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  7. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out o my family first and a few very close select group of friends. A few days after though i came out over facebook, even had a album of hot guys just to make sure people know... At first the family that was connected at that time didn't say anything, like they were angry or something, then afterwards they started to message me.

so it really depends on you and the people you are connected with

8. BasketCase

If you are just talking about changing your interested in status then I think you would be ok.

I changed mine months ago now and no-one has ever mentioned it - probably because they are too into themselves to even bother looking at what is on other peoples info page.

Posting it as a status would take some balls - and everything mentioned above needs to be considered.

9. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    I came out on Facebook by writing a Note. As it was my writing, it was a bit wordy, but I made it clear that, yes I'm gay and yes I'm only interested in a monogamous relationship. As far as I know, nobody unfriended me over this, and I got a ton of positive comments. It's just like coming out 'in real life.' You'll find out who your real friends are, and their love and support will far overshadow the hurt you feel by discovering which people are not true friends.

Also, if you do decide to come out in a note, feel free to draw inspiration from mine (http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-stories/48102-coming-out-facebook-big-way.html) if you want.

-Twisty

10. 4alex6

Well the main way that I came out was over Facebook. I messaged a few of my friends and told them that I was bi and they gave great, positive responses. I then decided to write a status update saying that I am bi (here is the link to the thread I made about it: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-stories/48556-came-out-facebook.html) I think that if you decide to post a note or a status update saying that you are gay on Facebook then I think people wouldn't feel pushed to give you a negative response, unless they really feel like they should . If you decide to tell them in person then they are kind of forced to tell you what they really think about it: negative and/or positive. So coming out on Facebook is a very good idea and I think that you should just do what are most comfortable with. :slight_smile: Good luck! :slight_smile:

11. addie88

a few months ago i was feeling a lot of in-the-closet-claustrophobia, and i wanted to do something drastic, so i just changed my gender preferences in my profile on facebook. i still don't even know if anyone noticed, and at first it was a relief. i felt pretty good. and it helped me accept myself more because i had formalized it. but a little bit later i realized...hey, this really isn't anyone's business. so i took it down. which was actually a good decision because a few months later i realized that i wasn't bi like i was telling people-- i am now accepting my inner gayness.

i guess my point is that orientation is complicated, and facebook tends to simplify things when it shouln't be simplified. i think you should find a couple of people you can tell in person first, and then see how you feel. doing things over the internet can sometimes give the feeling that it's not real. like when i come out to someone through text or IM or something, it is a million times easier than saying it in person, face to face.

idk. i think you should tell someone in person first. cause if you can do that, you can do anything.

good luck :slight_smile: